lewdawg

worm oil question answered?

That's strange....I talked to Yamamoto enterprises and they said not to use mineral oil and Lure Craft also advertises not to use mineral oil. I can see Lure Craft saying no to mineral oil...because they want to sell their worm oil...but Yamamoto has no reason to not want you to use mineral oil unless it has a adverse effect on their plastic. I always wondered why they don't give you the properties of the actual worm oil they sell to us hand pourers. When I was in business, my insurance carrier was not happy not knowing what I was using...these are chemicals that WE should know what they are...its our health and we should know what we are exposing ourselves to.

I have been pouring for 10 years and have asked my suppliers a 100 times...."what is worm oil?" and the response has been the same.....no answer and most times no response at all.

Here's a simple solution to the mineral oil question. Take some plastic worms, put them in a ziplock bag and put mineral oil on them. Close the bag and let them set. You'll get your answer in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

I agree about the right to know for health reasons. Maybe if they thought they would get sued they might just come across with the answer. :twisted:

Just the idea of them being sooooo tight-lipped makes me think that the product just might be a very simple and cheap item that anyone can get their hands on anywhere. :wink:

Lewdawg is correct regarding the MSDS (Material Safety and Data Sheet). When you order plastic, softner, etc you should get one as well.

There is a Federal Law called the "Right to Know" law that includes references to hazardous chemicals and there uses. An MSDS is required by LAW!!!

If your supplier refuses, you can go to the OSHA website and start a complaint process however if the chemical is not hazardous...there is NO requirement to give out its ingredients.

Just don't put all our suppliers out of business :) !!! Seriously, we should know what we are dealing with as someday down the road we may all end up with another eye or something!!

Jim

I would think for those that have a Biz Lic in this area. That you could have your insurance agent send them a formal letter on your behafe to get the info. Especialy if they are conserned themselfs. For the hobiest I'd think there would be no recorse. A MSDS like stated is only requied if harmful chemicals are used. Also any harmfull material must be labeled as such and I have not noticed (or realy looked for) any warnings in this area on soft plastics. I have read that fish will pass soft plastics with no problems or any adverse medical efects, and that tests have been ran to asure this. Just rambalings of an observer so disregard if nedded LOL :)

I have swapped both with no problem:

worm oil for softener / softener for worm oil.

Never really thought much about the ingredients though....... :?

The only thing I'm sure of is it's not a water-based material. I'm sure that baby oil would work for lubricating worms. Wonder if it would work as a softener???? Hmmmmmmmm...............

This really makes me think of the countless hours I spent surfing the net trying to find out what is EXACTLY in plastisol. Try finding some (any!) information about this on the net! I even gave some samples to a scientist friend of mine who works at Fresno State. He never got back to me. Either he couldn't figure it out, or was too lazy to try. :rolleyes:

ALS - Do you mean that you are pouring your worm oil in the plastic as a softener, thought that should not be done.

I work at a military corrction facility in Charleston, SC, and we even have to provide the Prisoners an MSDS Sheet if they request one, for products that they use. If my Safety Officer was not in Irag right now, he could probably give me a straight answer on worm oil. Dangerous or not it's the Law that if you ask for an MSDS Sheet, they MUST give you one. Worm oil might not be explosive, corrosive, ect...but it sure is not probaby good to drink the stuff, and even that would be on an MSDS Sheet.

Just my 2 Cents worth.