GB GONE

Good all around rod???

Looking to spend about $150.00 on a good all around rod. Something I could actually throw a crankbait on, then maybe fluke or worm fish and then maybe switch to a spinnerbait (1/2 oz, no more)...

Can anybody recommend anything?? I'm interested in a G Blank rod. They use the Shikari SHX blanks. I can get one for about $140.00.

Also looked at a custom rod from www.jimborods.com. (No relation to me :D ) I believe he uses All star blanks.

Any recommendations appreciated!!!

Jim

Jim,

I don't know if there is such a rod that can do crankbaits and worms equally well, those require pretty different actions (IMHO) desipite the brand of rod you choose. I would say that if you want to get as close to an overall rod as you can try something in the Medium Heavy category and don't use it for cranks. With a MH action rod you can do a lot of different things from spinnerbaits to carolina rigging and even all but the heaviest of flipping applications. Any of the top manufacturers will put out a great rod for the 150.00 range. I like Castaway rods myself,but Falcon, Allstar, Kistler and more others that I cant think of right now all make good rods in that price range.

Dwain is right, the crankn' part makes it hard :(

I know you said $150, but if you could spend a little more, Kistler makes something you're looking for. I have one and I love it. Actually, I love all my Kistlers :!: This is really a good all around rod. But it's not that good for cranks. I have thrown some bigger cranks on it in a pinch and it did ok.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p-HE69APC.html

Guess I should have said rattle traps and small cranks!!! The maker of the G-blanks rods claims his rods are lighter than G Loomis and far mor durable...around 3.4 ozs.

WOW!!! Jake.....I need a loan from u!!! $229 is steep for me!!! My wife would get a lot of pairs of shoes in compensation for that rod :lol: !!

Guess I should have said rattle traps and small cranks!!! The maker of the G-blanks rods claims his rods are lighter than G Loomis and far mor durable...around 3.4 ozs.

WOW!!! Jake.....I need a loan from u!!! $229 is steep for me!!! My wife would get a lot of pairs of shoes in compensation for that rod :lol: !!

Too funny :D My Wife always threatens to buy the same amount of shoes that I buy in fishing gear 8O I know it's steep' date=' but it's a great rod! Would be great for those rattle traps too!

For your $$$ look into the new Shimano Crucial series. From what I hear, from lots of good sticks, is that if you're on a budget, this is [i']the[/i] series :!: The 6'10" Medium might be a good choice and it's only $140. Tacklewarehouse sells a full line up of Crucial rods. Check em out.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRDCSHIMANO-SCRCR.html

Well, I am going to go against the grain. I throw my medium to large crankbaits on a 7ft. MH Rick Clunn Crankbait rod. I bought my first one 3 yrs ago. I like it so much that I bought two more. The rod is tough, really light, throws very well. I also use the same rod for spinnerbait, worm, and jig fishing. You can thow a crankbait a long way accurately. I have also caught a 32 lb. cat fish on this rod. Otherwise I would look at St. Croix. They have an excellent rod also. Extremely light.

Skeeter

One of the 6'6" Falcon 4 powers would do most of those chores. I use a Lowrider (4-66 or 4-166? sorry it is in the rod box at the moment) for warts and square bills, also some spinnerbaits, traps, and such. Use essentially the same blank in a spin rod for hulas, mojo rigs, and vertical fishing. Might be a little soft for a fluke/senko.

All Star's old WR1 was hard to beat as well...would say the jury is out on the current ones.

Either rod would come in well enough under the $150 for you to buy another one. Loomis is a good jig/worm rod, but I think too stiff for cranks. SC rods always seem to soft to me, as do most of the GUSA blanks. Really prefer something lighter, one of the 3 power Falcons or an AS TWS rod for most cranks and rogues. Hard to tear up a Falcon.

I have yet to see a rod any better than the mh 6'6" Falcon Original Series rod. It is light enough that us old guys can throw it all day long. It has the backbone to set the hook and land big bass. I have used it with crankbaits with much success, but I prefer a medium action rod for crankers. I would like to try the new Cara series, but if it is any better than the Original, I don't think I could stand it. :lol:

im going to go on a limb here and again although I am sponsored by them I get nothing by referring you, plus your wife will still be able to get shoes.

Hookhider makes a descent rod. The blanks are good and I use between 7 and 12 different makes in all my tournaments. For cranking I use there im6 7' medium heavy which runs you 59.00 (more shoesfor her and more rods for you). I have never had a problem with them except they use to large of an eye on there tips which i have replaced. You will also like the fact that your hooks will slide up in the handle on almost any crankbait except the likes of dd22's etc.

I have used every dropshot rod made for worms (except kistler) and the im8 7' medium light blows them away as far as feel goes. for worming it is a good rod and runs for less than 90.00.

Good rod for the price.

I know it sounds funny but I was in a club with a guy that cut a 12 foot salt water spinning blank down to 6'6" that made a good all around. He used it on everything from t-rig to flukes to spinners and liked it so much he made another just like it. He let me try one out one day and it was amazingly versatile. The top two feet or so was so limber it would load enough to rocket out a jerkbait with just a flick, but the give went quickly from that to pure backbone. I don't remember what brand blank it was but I believe it was a cheaper one, I do remember him saying he had less than $50 in each one. I can look him up and find out for you if your interested, hope it helps, JIM

For me, there is only one rod that I am willing to spend serious money on and that is ST. CROIX. I just absolutely love their rods. However, When I buy one it is a very special occasion. If you are looking for a good rod without spending serious jack, then I would recomend one of the Bass Pro Shops private label rods. I just bought a Crankin' stick and a Bionic Blade and love them both. The Crankin' stick is the first rod I have had that really has the perfect qualities for crankbaits and it was on sale for 40$.