MagicBob

Decals are cool, but......

they require a coat of laquer to set the ink. Then the Etex I used on it didn't seem to want to adhere. I had to keep brushing it for over an hour to prevent what they call "holidays" or spots where the epoxy pulled away. Anyone have recomendations on dealing with epoxy over laquer?

Bob, How does that tail effect the action of the lure, compared to a conventional tail? TIA

Riverman, its a water slide decal. I'm not too worried about the decal adhesion for a couple of reasons. First, the Etex makes a pretty solid outer layer ( I put it on thick as this is a big bait) and even if the under layer delaminates a little it should hold up. I'll find out soon as I'll be fishing this bait a lot starting now. Second, nothing lasts forever and any paint job eventually gets torn up in use. I'm fishing for 10+ pounders so if it lasts long enough to catch one fish on each bait I won't be totally disapointed.

Thanks for the input everyone. With the help of my friendly Ace Hardware guy (he really is good) we had figured out the Krylon (Matte Finish) instead of laquer. The decal material is from Testors and they use laquer to set the ink. Other suppliers of decal material I found online use Krylon. Bottom line I think the laquer is the problem. Doesn't seem to get along with anything. So I'm pretty sure switching to the other decal material and using Krylon will work. I'll let you know.

One minor detail Nathan, you keep calling it Polyacrilic, but the label on what I bought says Polycrylic. I just want to be sure we're talking about the same stuff.

Coley, I tried Krylon (went for the matte on the assumption Etex would adhere better). Still got places where the Etex pulls away (only on the decal not painted areas). Maybe the decal material is the culprit? I am ordering some different material online and I'm going to try Gloss Krylon. This one's making me crazy!