BowfinBoy95

dragonfly surface popper in the works

im fairly new to tackle underground but my expertise in crafts goes back a long way. Only in the past few months have i begun lurecraft.ive recently undertaken a project in which i hope to successfully make a dragonfly surface popper out of balsa wood and BalsaFoam foamboard. thus far its coming out excellent. im going to seal it with krylon acylic gloss. then ill add a spray on black primer, shielding the wings with masking tape. i will then start painting it by hand. where can i find some high quality metallic paints that actually have the sheen of metal rather than glitter? this is gonna be a metallic red and green draginflywith black joints if i can find the paints...when its finished ill be sure to post the pics!

First, I would not seal it with Krylon acrylic. I think you need to add some strength, especially to the foam board. I would suggest epoxy or Husky's plastics coating (see tutorial).

You can find metalic craft paints at Wal-Mart or most craft stores. Any paint looks really nice with a clear top coat so I don't think you need high quality.

I would suggest an epoxy top coat, but if you don't want to go that route try Min-wax Polyarcylic. It is water based so clean up is easy. Instead of the aerosol, get a can and either dip the bait about five times, giving it least 1/2 between to dry or you could try brushing it on.

yeah im definitely aware this thing would be frail without a few layer thick epoxy coat. especially since the tail has onl a portion of wire in it. ill try the createx paints. i did find a nice black primer which will make the joints look how i want them to, and i decided to get some regular acrylics. red with a bit of silver in it silver eyes with agreen tinge..not going to do any elaborate patterns or anything as this is my first attempt. itll be done soon, so ill be posting the picture!