Tom S

Createx paint adhesion

Has anyone tried painting a pattern that requires masking with tape with Createx paint.I was doing a paint job were I need to tape off any area that was allready painted and dry.When I pulled the tape off some paint came with it.I am using Zinsser stain cover for primer.Any pointers?Thanks.

Tom

Although I don't use createx, I can tell you that your problem is very common with masking tape. Especially when the under coat is not totally dry or poorly adhereed to the primer.

Most any paint store carries a special tape for the purpose of masking which has a less sticky glue than regular masking tape . Its usually blue and sometimes white, and comes off without taking the undercoat.

I would also be careful to let the undercoat dry completely, and remove the tape while the top coat is still tacky.

Good Luck

Scuff or Sand area that is to be painted, the area under the tape also! Pull tape back over itself when removing. Wet sand tape edge after paint has dried with 600 or finer grit this will help in leaving a clean edge when tape is removed. When using tape shoot only the amount of paint to give you the proper coverage. Let it dry completely before removing tape!

I have had this problem with Createx using the blue tape from 3M even when the first coat has dried for two days. I feel there is a problem with Createx adhering to Zinsser as well as some other primers claiming to be "ready to paint, no sanding required."

I started lightly sanding my my primer coat and then I wipe it down with alcohol, I have much fewer problems now.

Some once mentioned heat curing Createx with a blow dryer to make it setup, does anyone do that?

The key is to heat-set Createx. I'm looking into a flame thrower set up in the back yard for large batches of lures--having the lures well-sealed and the Kilz water-base primer thoroughly dried will minimize any bubbling--then low-tack tape to gently mask colors after full cooling and drying...now if i can just figure out how to get around the burn permits, and the fog from all that steam... :D

Dean

I would like to know more about this "heat setting".Does that need to be done while the paint is still wet or fresh painted?Or can it be done later on?

I've done it between colors, and also a day later. I use my wife's hair dryer on high.

Overkill, a dehydrator might work, albeit very slowly, but I prefer to have the bait suspended as opposed to having a newly painted lure lying on a rack. I know a hair dryer or heat gun works efficiently.

Dean

can you use a heat lamp to dry the hanging part? like the ones used to keep those fast food burgers warm till you buy them' date=' or the heat lamp used to cure powder paint? just a suggestion.

monty[/quote']

Not sure about using a heat lamp but I would think the ones used to keep burgers warm wouldn't work very well. They don't seem to do a very good job in the restaurant! :)