TJE6996

NEWBIE Trying to figure out how to paint

This a question that is extremely difficult to answer.

Learning how to paint, comes from practice and more practice.

Look up using an airbrush on the web. Several sites have practice

patterns and tips.

Your airbrush should have tips and instructions on practice

steps.

Do a search on this site for paint, you will get a lot of information

and discussioin about painting.

Basic steps are, sealing, priming, color coats and top coat.

You can also get a video on using an airbrush.

Coley

TJE, the best way is just buy the airbrush you can afford, quality waterbased airbrush paint and start painting. I have working on this hooby for over a year and I'm just now starting to get some paint jobs that I'm happy with. You will be hardest critic to please. It takes alot of practice and patience to become a good painter in my opinion. Golden airbrush paints are my choice but createx is good too.

Practice, Practice, and more practice. I still have the very first bait I airbrushed and it might catch fish but sure is ugly! Search the forum for tips and ask questions, that is what helped me along the way.

One thing, when getting the best airbrush you can afford make sure it is a double-action brush. That way you can control the paint and the air flow.

...and when you think you the best go over to airbrush.com and look at some of the pictures on there! Granted they are working on a larger "pallet" but it is still amazing work.

This is going to be different.I am not naturally artististic.I can not draw.My handwriting is attrocious.I can paint a bait.I did not practice months or days before I had success,just hours.Use waterbase paint as it is more forgiving.Copy Bagley's skunk pattern on any old bait,its pretty straight forward.Next copy Bagley's black back/pearl sides shad pattern.Before you add the details(gill marks,eyes and shad dots) clear coat and dry.You will most likely make an error in detailing rather than applying the "base" colors.You will be able to erase instead of starting over.Next,modify one of these patterns with colors of your choice.What you are doing is starting out as a craftsman.You have a plan.You have an easiy visualization of what you want to paint.With solid craftmanship the artistic part will follow.The following is simply my observation and meant purely complimentary.Check out Skeeter's posts.Do you see a craftsman who has become an artist?Read Funny Farm's posts.An artist that has become a craftsman?There are others here who have mastered both aspects.I think it is very important to choose either craftsmanship(method) or art(imagination) and develope a solid foundation and the other ability/necessity will follow.I must stop.I just realized I have entered the otherworld of crankbait enlightenment and awakening.LaPala,I know you are here,have you found a way out?

OnlyBass: I gave up making lures :lol: I'm starting all over again by learning how to carve a fish, next will be the taxidermist way of painting fish. :rolleyes::P:lol::):(8O:D

What I really meant is: where do you find the ultimate satisfaction? If u try to be a perfectionist, you'll never reach the end. Like I've said before; "it's the journey that counts, not the destination."

end note: There's no way out; you only sink deeper.

Have fun guys and don't forget the purpose of a lure is to catch fish; not how good looking it is.

All great advice.

You've learned to carve a lure--you can learn to paint a lure. It might be easier to have been blessed with great artistic talent, but most beautiful lures are the result of basic craftmanship with paint. Lures are painted one color at a time on a properly prepared surface. Examine lures you like and try to visualize the process and sequence of individual color application used to achieve the final result. There is simply a wealth of info on this site about masking, stencils, surface preparation, clearcoating, etc. Just be patient, practice, search and study the posts. and you will learn the techniques to make eye and fish catching lures. I'll bet it won't be too long before you are amazing yourself and having lots of fun doing it!

Dean