finlander

unpainted Believers

being a bass fisherman, i don't know much about how to protect a bait from muskie teeth. I'd say that you need to put two layers of whichever clearcoat you usually use. Most of the time you have to worry about extra layers weighing the bait down, but i'm assuming these lures must be big enough to where that wouldn't really matter. Again, we'll probably never know which clearcoat is the best, but I'd suggest using e-tex, devcon, or maybe in flexcoat highbuild. Try em all out and let us know which one suffers less injuries!

The Believers are made of hard plastic and are designed for toothy critters. Multiple layers of 2-part epoxy is best for wooden muskie baits, but not neccesary for hard plastic baits like Believers. I suggest prime & paint then a thin topcoat to protect your paint job. If it gets nicked up coat nicks as needed. Please post you paint patterns when done. I have a few of DDD blanks that I'll be painting.

HTH

I agree with HTH on doing a thin top coat to protect the paint on hard plastic.Adding a thick top coat of epoxy(dealers choice) on a hard plastic bait is not necassary,and in my oppinion counterproductive.The thick topcoat gives the fish a little "bite" and makes hook setting harder.Muskies will sink thier teeth into a thick top coat and will make it tough to move the bait in thier mouth and set the hooks.I would rather have a scratched up bait than a missed fish anyday.Scratched up baits look cool too!LOLWood baits ,yes go with a thick top coat.

Tom

So how many companies offer unpainted bodies? I love to experiment with paint schemes but tire of making them of wood and trying to weight them correvtly.

Musky Mania offers a few of there lures as blanks http://www.storesonline.com/members/586683/index.htm I plan On ordering a bunch this spring to paint up. As far as Thorne Bros, I was there 3 weeks ago and they didn't have any DDD's and said they wouldn't get any until the company gets back up and running - they were bought out by Musky Mania/Drifter Tackle http://www.thenextbite.com/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=8&Topic=2295