TJE6996

Airbrush

Paasche VL or Milennium are the workhorse brushes. Lot of Iwatas out there also. I think that is kind of like comparing curados to chronarchs...a little flashier, but not necessarily any more reliable or durable.

I paint virtually every day (aside from last year's little hiatus) with the Paasche brushes. Don't think I would be any better off with an Iwata. Regardless of what you pick, check out Dixie Art for your set-up and parts. They have lots of info and schematics of the various brushes, and good $ on compressors. Remember to pick up extra needles and cones as you will blow thru those at first.

Best of luck with it. Let me know if I can be any further help.

Dave is right.

And I am not trying to imply anything. I was using a Paasche VL and had major problems with it. So I am kinda sold on the Iwata Now.

Not to say that its the best, but its the best for my applications.

I can clean the Iwata faster than my Paasche, and Spray finer lines with it too. Guess thats why I am partial.

I'm a big fan of the Paasche VL for spraying large amounts of paint and the AB (oscilating needle) for fine detail.

Most any model will work. The trick is getting your paint the right consistency for the needles your airbrush has and the correct air pressure. When everything is right, life is good! When it isn't, it's expensive. :(

Chris

Ditto the above post about paint viscosity, psi, and practice. Trying too shoot paint that is too thick (cough...createx, before thinning) through the wrong tip and needle assembly will make you cuss at any of the double action brushes. Think this is the problem most people run inot with the Paasches. Doesn't help that they sell those d@mned spray from the bottle assemblies for createx...would have to shoot at way too much psi to get good reults that way. Any double action is also going to be touchy if it is dirty (even if you think it is clean...esp with acrylics). Single action brushes are ok for base coating only.

paint%20guns.JPG?dc=4675510818743442386

These are my weapons of mass destruction right here. I like theCrescendo-175. Has a thicker body for guy's with big hands, you can do fine lines to big spray jobs. An to tell you the truth never had a problem with it and it's easy to clean.

TheIwata is the "Cadilac" for paint guns as far as I'm concerned. The thin body is a little tricky to get used to, but you will know the difference sor sure, it's like angels sing when you use it "It's That Good". Has smaller part's and clean up is not as fast as the crescendo!

Now I have my cake and can eat it too.

Robby.

If you haven't owned a airbrush before you are better off starting out with a single action brush. For several reasons: less expense, easier to disassemble and assemble. The majority of detail work on a lure is accomplished with stencils, scale netting & masks. So it is really not important how fine a line a brush will shoot, unless you intend on doing a lot of free hand work. There has been plenty of finely detailed art work performed on about anything you can think of, all done with single action brushes. If you master a single action brush, application will even be easier with a double action. If you decide you would like to upgrade, you can always use the single action to squirt your basecoats. :)