Terrydabassman

Making a Bomber, Part 1 & 2

8O Very nice. Great job all around with the lure and tutorial.

:?: Just a couple questions. I assumed you sprayed the bill with Createx. How did you prepare the surface of the bill for painting and did you top coat the bill with 2 Ton Epoxy? Also, wasn't it a hassle working with the Luxon stlye line tie on the lip? What did you do about coating around the holes in the bill for the line tie and keeping the top coat from bonding the line tie and bill together?

I really like your crawfish color scheme. Very creative. Again, nice job, well done.

bill

Bill, I top coated the lure body first, then top coated the bill the next day.

I tapped a toothpick to the line tie to keep it straight up and Kept the top coat 1/32" away from the actual holes. I had pics of this, but had taken pictures outdoors just before and "assumed" they would be ok. They weren't, too dark to tell what was what, so I couldn't show that part, sorry. I'll know next time.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Very nice job. FYI, I believe the Bomber lure you have duplicated was known as "the mudbug" one the first truely deep diving lures put on the market for bass in the 1960's. I have used them for a variety of species, including trolling for walleyes on Lake Erie. They seldom turned over like so many other deep divers when a weed or some other debris became hung on them and never went out of tune. If you cranked hard, you could get this lure down below 10 ft.

Your tutorial is a model for others. Particularly enjoyed the good photography you exhibited. Keep 'em turning.

Mitcheal

You just jogged my memory, Arbogast did make the "mudbug". I stand corrected. I have several old ones made from wood that have really not aged well. The plastic versions are in pretty good shape but might rework all of them next winter. Will also try and make a few of my own per the tutorial.

Mitcheal

excellent tutorial. You've inspired me to try it sometime.

I remember as a kid in the 70s reading about the pros slaying the bass bouncing original Bombers through the standing timber at Toledo Bend. I caught a few fish on a brown one I owned at Falls of the Neuse Lake in Raleigh a dozen years ago.