mossy maker

Crankbait Lips

I have been making top water baits for a while with a few cranks here and there. My cranks have been inconsistant. Does anybody have any tips for attaching the lips? ( I have been using Netcraft lips ) I have also only been able to achieve action with a lip angle of 30 degrees. Are there any secrets to being able to try different angles? I would appreciate any tips that anyone would like to share.

Well, I'll try to help you out. Not, having seen your bait in the

water. I can only imagine it is not weighted properly.

1/4 to 1/3 of the top or back of the bait should be out of the water

when the bait is sitting in the water. The front of the lip must be under water, or it will not dig in and start swimming. It sounds like

the bait is tail heavy and is sitting with the front out of the water.

Its hard to tell without knowing how it is sitting.

I am assuming that when you say it will swim with a 30 deg. angle

on the lip. the lip is under water at this point.

Hope this helps you out some.

Coley

Coley has some good thoughts. But like he said.... it is hard to troubleshoot your problem without any information about it. Tell me about the bait. What is it made out of? How long is it? Is it a round or flat sided crankbait? How large is the lip and where is the line tie located? It would really be better if you could post a picture of the bait. If you don't want to post the picture here on the site then send it to me or Coley by email. I have a little bit of experience with lips and weighting. As far as the consistancy goes....... are you trying to make one specific style of bait and just can't get multiples to match? I would be glad to help you if I can.

Skeeter

One other Q for you: How are you making the lips? From a sight unseen perspective the easiest way is to cut them on a scroll or bandsaw...use spray adhesive to glue several sheets of lexan together with your pattern on top, then cut away, sand/file to finish. Gives you the best chance at consistent lip shape & size without going to a die set-up.

My best results with weighting baits puts the weight around the belly hook wire, or possibly between the belly hook and the lip (angle dependent). This is with balsa baits.