siebler_custom_baits

Wood Chices for Building a Gaff

IM about to turn a gaff on the lathe to be used on my kayak in the saltwater. I am looking for a good wood to use. I plan on staining (unless wood is dark) and sealing with flexcoat . Basically wood needs to be fairly hard so the hook doesnt pull and i dont loose any fish.

thanks, ill post results when im done.

skip all that and get a piece of bamboo.drill a hole in the end insert the gaff hook. wrap with 1/4'' rope tie it off cover with epoxy. shelic the length of the bamboo. it will last forever. just reply shelic every year. i have had mine for 6 years with no problem.the bamboo for the gaff comes in 16' lengths so you can make more than one.good luck.

:D Hey Sieb, how big a gaff are you making and for how big a fish?? The reason I ask is if its for strength I would use ash or maple. I used to make floating gaff hooks by using cedar. That way if you dropped it the gaffhook would float. These were used for sturgeon spearing in the winter and the fish could be anywhere from 30-180 pounds so I used heavy SS and it took a big handle to keep it floatable. Hope this helps. Ken Schmitz

gaff hook has 4" gap and i want a 24-30" handel that is max of 1.5" diameter so it fits in the holder. Average fish it will be used for is 20-30 lbs but often larger. Looks are very important, i want something nobody else has and thats why i sold my other gaff and am making one. Everybody has bamboo or metal here and i will be turning something dark and then turn a matching club. Really this is all about looks, if i cant have the best kayak in san diego ill have the icest gaff!

Think maybe ill try the hard maple i have left from my chumped up first attempt at making a banjo (the new attempt is almost done :D ) but cedar might be nice. I will be using a flexcoat finish on whatever wood i decide, Guess ill be wood shopping today!

Thanks all

Why not try teak? no saltwater problems and has a nice color. Or Walnut if you want a real nice dark color.

I wouldn't use flex coat, If it cracks and any water gets in it will cloud and could cause the wood to expand. I would soak it in linseed oil, then use a deck sealant. Then maybe a nice rubbed tung oil finish.

Well i got my gaff turned (Thank you Overkill!) and now ill wrap and such then try to get pics (broke my camera :( ). Overkill you sent enough of that wood that in a few weeks im gonna start a banjo outa it too so i may be contacting you to Buy some more wood from the same tree if possible (need enough to glue up a pot and have some for the head and maybe a resinator).

Thanskf or all the help yall.

Shoot, i wont gt to look at actual sizes for a few weeks but i need probly a sqaur foot of 1" thick and for the pot in really not sure. The finished pot id 2 1/8" wide and 11" dia. Basically for pot the size you sent me before would probly due but it doesnt have to be nearly as thick.

So basically for the head i need like 12x12 of like 1" thick (workable material size, also if that isnt availible in the 12"x12" i can alwats do glueup on the smaller pieces.

For pot maybe a nice board like before maybe not so thick and preferably in good shap and not a lot of weathering.

Shoot me a price with shipping and all, shipping doesnt have to be fast or anything and ups is probly cheapest.