trdrew

Between coats?

If you are refering to between coats of paints, I don't seal before applying another coat. You can use a clear coat, such as the one from Createx, if you want to protect the paint job before applying shad dots, gill flares, etc. That way if you mess up you can remove the mistake with removing all the paint.

I hope this helps some as I am guessing as to exactly what you mean.

Thanks,Sporoller. That is exactly what I was asking about. I trying to find a good clear coat for in between color. I do make alot of mistakes or that I just don't like the way it looks. I just hate to start over from the beginning. I have try some clears( krylon, dupli-color ) without good results. Just wondering if there is something better on the market.

Thanks

Only a couple of problems witht the C'tex clear for in between clear coats...1) It can dry cloudy, obscuring your base colors. Hitting it with a blow dryer can help with this 2) If you really foul up some detail work, especially scales, you may not be able to wipe it off without wiping thru the clear and into your paint 3) It really, REALLY, gums up an internal mix brush.

Sorry, guess that is more than a couple. I shoot my base coat, then my side/belly/ and possibly back colors, then just apply a layer of the same flex coat high build I use as a finish clear coat. When cured you can paint whatever you want on it and wipe off with water or a little cleaner, without getting into your colors. It also really brings out the shine and the brightness of your base design so you can better see what the finished bait will look like. That can make a big difference in choosing and mixing the next colors you shoot or dot. Chartreuse c-tex for example, is a very common color that is affected this way.

Thanks Dtrs, I guess I should have mentioned the drawbacks of using it. It works fine for a quick "oopps" but if you make a good mistake then the clear coat will come off during removal. I forgot about the clouding problem, since I haven't used the clear coat in a long while. Now I just "go back to the drawing board" if I goof but I have found that the more I paint the less I goof it up (I still can though).

I like the idea of clear coating before adding the last touches, that should give it some depth.