basbaits

Crankbait rattles

Just wanted to get some input from everyone. Do you think the sound a crankbait makes is important. I have come up with a totally different sounding rattle and fixing to try and start selling some baits. I have been working on it for about 3 years. As of now there are only certain types of plastic baits I can get to make the sound.

I would also like to know if anyone has been able to make a hollow cavity in a wooden bait. I would like to start playing some with wood baits and have been doing a lot of searching in the files. What would be a good wood to use and where do you get the blanks from? Does anyone on the forum sale lips for crankbaits? Thanks for your imput.

I have already made the rattle. It is totally different from the traditional rattle. I am needing the inside of the bait to be as hollow as a plastic bait. Don't know if the wood would be strong enough after cutting it out.

What would be a good wood to use? How does cedar paint and how easy is it to work with?

A friend of mine tryed that, and wasn't sattisfied at all with the final result. Thay don't sound as well as they should, and you can not cut a very good shape into the body. After all there comes the glueing part. Do you believe you can glue them together so no glue gets in that cavity?? Don't know how large are your baits, that's why i'm kinda asking?!

Why are you trying this? Are you getting bored, or traditional rattles don't satisfy you anymore?? :lol::lol:

Wanting something different. It started off a just wondering if i could do it. I fixed a few up and went to try them and had great luck. In the swimming pool you could hear the rattle at 12 foot. It's completely different.

I am playing with small body baits. I was think of getting someone to paint them, and start selling them. I bought an airbrush and played around with it. However, I had some problems. I found this site and have been reading a lot. Going to order another airbrush and better paint.

I would love to start playing with wood baits. Looking on ebay trying to find some blanks. Dont know which type to get. Balsa and Cedar are all I know about. Don't know if any of the others would be good.

Cheesehead was right about the two ways of forming a rattle chamber in a wooden bait.The problem with the muffled sound of a rattle in a wooden bait is the BB's are striking soft wood,which eliminates alot of the sound.If your rattle is self contained..that eliminates that problem.If your rattle is not self contained(loose bb's) you can increase the sound by hardining your chamber.If you do the drilled through method..plug the sides with thin plugs cut from a hard wood dowel.If you make a rattle "bowl" on the inside of the bait,coat the inside of the bowl with Devcon 2ton epoxy.(besure to let dry COMPLETELY before adding the bb's)..Nathan

but you ca try another thing. That if you really want to make these rattles happen. You coult seel the inside chamber of the wood with epoxy for example. Or you could use some hard plastics in aceton. And your rattles will sound like the self contained ones, may be even better. I won't even try it, because it's to much work involved for nothing.

Why even bother when you can make self contained ones, that are easy to use.