dtrs5kprs

ugly baits

Have you ever shot a bait that was so ugly you wanted to hit it with a hammer to keep it from escaping? Just mixed some back stripes that I thought would be a nice match for a ghost color scheme and fortunately stopped after the first one 8O8O8O

Cleaned the brushes & am going to the post office to get away for a while.

Fish them! I am not kidding I have some of the most awful looking fish catchingest baits you ever saw. One is a spinnerbait that has earned the actual name of Butt-Ugly. It is an unpainted head Bright chart skirt, red colorado, big orange plastic beads and a gold Mag willow. All on a chopped down small profile .031 form and a 1/2oz bullet mold. I mean it is ridiculous looking and we always slay on it in the early season in cold muddy water. I made the first one in the floor of my boat one day in a rain storm and it caught on with a couple locals after I waxed them real good. It has taken on a life of its own and no one will ever copy it! I had a guy out once that was down 5 keepers to nothing on a 15" length limit lake before he would even tie it on. I am a believer in ugly. I try to make some purty baits too for you artistic geniuses to see but when the going gets tough I go to the ugly stuff.

Jerk!

True Story. I went to Cape Cod last June. I hurriedly finished a batch of plugs for the trip. I was always partial to a white body/ red headed plug, so I made one for the trip. I was new to foam then so I foiled all the foamies so the paint would adhere properly. (Now I use plasticoat as a Primer/Sealer for the foam.) Thebplug looked great if I say so myself. When I got to the beach, I started using it, immediately. After about 3 casts I noticed the foil was lifting. To my chagrin, I realized I didn't top coat the thing. Action was slow so I just peeled the foil and along with it, the paint off. I was left with a amber, raw foamy. Suddenly a school of Bluefish came real close so I just threw the Nude plug as not to ruin any nicely finished plugs to the Choppers teeth. I banged out quite a few, all on the unfinished plug, and even got a gawking 8 yr old one, his very first. The next day I saw birds working so, assuming the blues were back, I went to the Nudie. I got 2 Nice Stripers and then a Bunch more Blues, all on that plug. I will never put a finish on it!

I have a surefire fix for any paintjob I screw up: I paint it black. I do a lot of fishing at night and the darker colors show a better silouette at night, so this works out for me anyhow. Or, like Husky says, just finish it as is and throw it at bluefish. If it moves, they'll hit it. Most times.