HellRazer

I need help with Epoxy

Hello all. I'm from Cyprus (an island near Greece) and i'm a newbie here and in luremaking hobby. I'm working with wood and i prefer beech. As a newbie i have some questions. I use UHU epoxy (20 min) for the final coat (i can't find E-tex or Devcon here). Anyone use this epoxy? Can i mix anything with epoxy to make it more easy-to-use?

p.s.1 : Thanks for all i learn from this site

p.s.2 : Sorry for my bad English

HellRazer

I don't know about the UHU epoxy itself but most slower curing epoxies would work for a top coat but some may yellow that is why most of us use E-tex or devcon.

A couple of things will help you with making your epoxy easier to use.

you could mix acetone with it to thin it out This evaporates very fast though.

Others have used alchohol as a thinner. This I havent tried myself.

One trick that I use is to coat the lure with epoxy then heat it up just a bit with a heat gun. this turns the epoxy very thin (like water). Then I smooth any thick spots or bare areas ith a flux brush and put it in my drying rack. Heating the epoxy will cause it to set or gell faster wich can be a plus.

Hellrazer your english is better than mine :rolleyes:

I have used UHU epoxy on flies before it works about the same as Devcon.

Try adding Acetone to thin it out, if its not available then nail polish remover will work in a pinch its usually mostly acetone anyway.

The other suggestions work as well.

If you are having problems with sagging then you will need to rotate your lure about 6-8 turns per minute works well.

Robert

Not sure what I've done now. Using Etex-lite up till now I have been mixing equal parts and actually pouring it over my lures. Then I hang them vertically until dry. This method seemed to be working ok but was a little time consuming. All of a sudden now, I don't get an even coat and get more air bubbles than usual. Yesterday, I tried brushing it on with a flux brush and then heating with a heat gun. I actually got worse results. Coverage is actually more inconsistent. After I heated it, I did not try to brush it because I expected it to flow evenly. Up till now, I have not tried to thin it - will this help? Will my problems be reduced or eliminated if I use a drying wheel? Does anyone have any other suggestions that makes this easier and consistent?

Thanks,