Travis

Giving Up

How many time do you get that crank that just doesn't want to cooperate. I finally licked a foamie that was one big pain in the rear. First time painting it when I went to put on water slide decals paint peeled right off no problem. Realized I forgot to lay a primer down over the krylon fushion to get my water based paint to adhear. So peeled it all off and repainted. Then went to make the new water slide decals. Of course one peeled off the backing when I went to remove it from the paper I used to feed it through the printer because I must have used super scotch tape. So printed another out. Got my new eyes in an stuck them on and didn't like the fit. They needed a little recess to sit flush with the crank. So now I figure I am not going to be satisfied without drilling a slight recess to counter sink the eyes slightly. So drill ever so carefully and some how managed not to damage the paint job but did manage to wreck a water slide. So I back to the printer. Well finally got done with that part went to slap on some devcon. Went to check the bait on the drying lure a few bubles. Blew on the bait slightly knocking them out and all was good. Come back a few hours later and find my bait sitting on the floor. Pulled up and of course a small crater along with dust bunnies, lab hair, etc... was plastered to the side. Managed to pick it all out no problem and recoated with a second coat of devcon. Filled in the crater and all dings and scratches from removing all the junk off the bait. Well finally got the bait done and can't tell anything is wrong with it. Posted a pick in the photo section. Now I figure one of two things will happen when I hit the water. I will hook the fish of a life time and have the lip pull out or most likely manage to hang it up in some sort of underwater jungle and end up breaking it off.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Travis, I needed a good laugh today!

Not laughing at you. I'm definately laughing with you (if you can look back and laugh now) :wink: I've only made three hard baits now. All big swimbaits. The 1st one was just one thing after another all the way to the end!!! :censored:

And to top it all off, I don't like the way the bait swims. So it's just hanging up with about 20 other swimbaits :| The bait looks good to me!! You have to let us know how it works out for you when you get it wet!

That's hilarious! Man can I ever related to ALL OF THAT travis. If I had a dig camera handy I would snap a pic for you of all the "misfit" baits I have...there is literally a 100 or more, might be 200 for all I know!

About two weeks ago my new Iwata airbrush arrived in the mail, woohoo! Well during my lunch break I hurried home and decided I had time to paint one bait, you know, try out the new brush. So I fired up the compressor, attached the brush, the paint, set the pressure and was ready for my first attempt, this is gonna be great! I aimed the brush at a practice sheet, pushed the buttom and poof, blue paint everywhere!! I still don't know what caused this but blue paint went everywhere.....I mean everywhere! So, I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning blue paint off the curtains, table, floor, dog bed, houseplants, and several pieces of furniture.....it was horrible on the wall, took forever to get cleaned up.

Ok, now I have maybe 15 minutes of lunch break left, time to clean the airbrush, forget trying to paint the bait! I carefully take off the end piece, then the next cone piece which is real tiny, loosen the nut in the back and out comes the needle, great. Rinse everything off and begin reassembling. All goes well until I get to that "tiny cone piece" that fits over the needle, "oh no, where is is it?". The very first damn time I have used this brush and I lost part of it! I look everywhere, floor, sink, floor again, nothing! I can't blame it on my wife, she's not here! I then figure I must have washed it down the sink...so out to the garage I go to get some tools in hopes it's stopped in the water trap. Open up the sink, disassemble the pipe and water starts spilling everywhere! With one hand holding the pipes together I reached for a dish and quickly slide it under the mess managing to catch half of the water in the dish, whew. I remove the trap and dump the rest of the water in the dish and to my delight, there's my brush part!!! I grab the part, carefully set it aside and dump the water in the dish down the sink............you guessed, hadn't reattached the pipes and the water ran right out and onto my feet!!! This is the honest to goodness truth!!

Yes, building baits is a labor of love.......................

jed

Had my downs too!! Good storry with the airbrush. I had some aufull experiences with luremaking. Especially with some late ones. Have you ever not mixed correctly epoxy or not in the equal ammounts??

Wel if you didn't , I did :| . You shouldn't try this at home :wink:

Another childish thing happened today. I started making a jointed one, and didn't seem to find it anywhere! I thought I would never see it again, and really put some work in it.

You wouldn/t guess where I put it!! :huh::huh: In the fridge. I couldn't believe my eyes where it was. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't even remember getting something out of the fridge. Who knows where my mind was wondering(fishing probably, because of the cold weather didn't catch any fish for about two months :censored:) . I can barely wait warmer weather to teach my baits to swim properly:D

Thanks guys, I enjoyed the laugh! Sad thing is I completely relate to it all! Nothing like working on a bait you have been dreaming about, getting the colors, blends, and fades just right and walking in to see that it fell out of the dryer. Okay on carpet but BAD on linoleum floors.

Oh yeah, did I mention that my wife has a bird and thinks it is cool to watch it fly around! BAD for devcon!!!!!!!!