the-bass-catcher

The "Classic" color and "Horton" color

I know that these are two of the hotest colors out there and have caught plenty of fish in big tournaments. I've only see a few extremely blurry photos of both, and I can't really see the details enough to try to duplicate them. If anyone could post a high quality pic of either color pattern I would greatly appreciate it, as I need to paint of few of both and have searched like crazy without finding a good pic of either. Thanks

I haven't quite figured out what color of green is used in the classic. It is more like some kind of olive. The Horton is similar to the picture here in the post except that the green is shot very light. The brown stripe is kind of light also. To shoot a Horton takes some gun control. I have shot Hortons for folks, but personally I have done better with the bait shot like the ones here in the post. You can see the classic at www.bubbajackstackle.com They might have a Horton on there also. Look under the WEC crankbaits. Mellow Yellow won the 93 Classic for David Fritts. Yellow Carp was one of the main colors that Fritts used for years. He won allot of money with that color. Dolphin and Carp have also won their share of tournaments.

Skeeter

Skeeter...I have not tried to shoot one in "classic" but have looked at it. Has to be some kind of a blended green, probably with some gray in it to "dull" the color. Almost an "ayu" color, like you would see in a jerkbait, or more commonly a much lighter version of the green in silver flitter spook (or Tim's RC color).

We don't throw some of those "Carolina" colors around here, but that Horton looks like the old bagleys color rootbeer/gren stripe/chartreuse. Some of those bagley patterns had some wicked stenciling and scaling.

Thanks for the pics lurehead, they are very nice! Skeeter - that some good info to know. I guess its always good to know what the pros go to when they need a win. Now to the airbrushing booth to attempt these...

Another question i have, not about color, is that are those baits in the pictures above original tennessee tuffy's or are they replicas? Also, whats the relation between the t.t. and the tapp that WEC produces. I thought they were supposedly the same bait, but they look completely different to me! (besides the coffin lip, and weighted belly style)

As for the classic color, I was under the impression that it had tan/light brown shoulders, a dark brown back, and white lower sides, orange throat. Thanks for correcting me fellas!

Come on Craig........ help us out. What color are the scales? Even when I see the bait I can't figure it out.

ATT,

The Tapp was made by Steve Blazer. It was bought out by Ed Chambers of ZOOM. I forget the name of the original Tennessee Tuffy maker. Blackjack may know. I am real confused about the path of this bait. I know that some guy made it in Tn. He got into income tax trouble and got slammed. All of the sudden Manns was making the lure. But there is still a TT website that is still up and running. Also Lee Sission in making a version of it also. It is made of Jelutong. All of the others were balsa. So...... go figure. But that is the stories I have been told. I believe that the TT is a little larger than the Tapp. The Tapps are having troubles with the lips pulling out. Also the lips aren't installed very straight. I have been getting allot of mail on that subject. People are wanting me to fix them or are buying my version of the bait. It has certainly helped my business. But my baits are made of hardwood and are larger than the originals.

Skeeter

Thanks for all the help with the colors. I painted my first handmade crankbait two days ago in a color almost like the Horton color but a little lighter. I know this color will tear the fish up on my favorite lake, actually the bait itself was designed specifically for this lake. Fishing quickly over the coontail moss that grows in the crystal clear lake. I can't wait to fish it! Will post a pic in the album soon!