Husky

Just cracked the code for printing on foil.

Finally, I came up with a non traditional but satisfactory method. This is what it looks like on a practice plug.

foitissue.jpg

I'm looking for someone who can finish spray a couple with an airbrush for me. I'm a rattle can guy and the blending in should look much better with an airbrush. Just back and belly.

Cool one Husky. 4 thumbs up - including the ones on my feet that is.

Looks like the expensive hot-stamping process of some manufacturers on electroplated "foil"/holographic surface have to make way for the "Husky Process"

Thanks but you're way off base, process wise. As those who know me, know I'm cheap as they come, So believe me when I say, this is an inexpensive method. :rolleyes:

This is a foamie bait. All I did was print the pics on white gift wraping tissue, which I taped on to a regular sheet of paper to get it through my printer. Printed it at Best Quality and glued the pics to Foil Tape, with spray adhesive. Once it dried, I cut the pics and the tape together, with the pics sillouette, placing them on the bait, and worked the foil in with a round pen. I didn't bother to try and cover the whole bait. Instead, after the pic was placed on the bait, I gave it 2 to 3 dips in clear Plasticoat (See Tallys Tute) and let it dry out totally. That will remove the "Panty Line of the foil. Once dried I rattlecanned the back black and the belly white, top coated with Etex, twice. With a wooden bait, a couple of coats of platicoat before foiling would be necessary in addition to the above, JMHO.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

THAT'S A GIZZARD SHAD, BTW. That yellow shading is from the pic.

Husky' date='

Awesome stuff man.....

you have a great imagination to go along with a talent to figure things out.

For all you newbies to tackle making, this is what it is all about, but you have to be willing to put in the time.

Tally[/quote']

Thanks for the props, but if I was so slick, I would have found a way to keep my Wife and Daughter from shoe shopping, after all these years. B)

Thanks for real, Tally. I know, you, like me paid your dues figuring things (i.e. the Plasticoat thing. Good thing you have a dealership to write off all the lame thinner off, to) out, and don't mind passing it along!

Years ago there were some "Sharpies" who would rather break off a good fish than let you see what they caught it on. True story!! I swore I would never be like that.

That's about all I can say' date=' here I am still experimenting with foam

and you move on to something else.

How do you like the Urethane for a mold material??

Coley[/quote']

A wise man once said, you can lead, follow, or get out of the way! :rolleyes::lol:

I'm following you to the Urethane, BTW. I had poor results with some RTV's and the cost was over the top. Mainly the problem was that the stuff I was getting had a low shore number, it was Too soft. The 90 Shore we spoke about is the cats meow. I still think newbies to Mold making and casting, should cut their teeth on Bondo, and when they're ready, move on up to urethane. JMHO. Your work has convinced me that's the way to go.

Hi husky i will do your paint if you would give me the pleasure,( we are airborne brothers after all) :D .. I will be moving the first part of april but we will have three weeks to work with or after it dont matter, you send them to me, i will do my best for you and send them back.. just let me know.

Thank You. Between yours, and the other Godfather offer I got (An offer you can't refuse) my card is now, most gratefully, filled. Thank you both so very much. All The Way!

Thanks but you're way off base, process wise. As those who know me, know I'm cheap as they come, So believe me when I say, this is an inexpensive method. :rolleyes:

I did mean your method is inexpensive; I know your style and it's in my heart too. Maybe you confused it with my mentioning of the expensive manufacturing process.

One question though, you started out this foil printing with experiments on direct printing on the foil. Now you're using gift wrapping tissue so this would be the tranfering medium for the print just like using water-slide decals then. How much of the foils reflective quality is affected? Or the gift wrapping tissue is really translucent or made translucent with plastidip?

(Excuse me as gift wrapping tissues I use usually are just old newspaper bunched up :D, I am cheap too)

I can already see an extention to your method if the tissue can go thru a hot-stamping machine (actually a laminating machince). We usually print the letterings (or whatever) on namecards that needs gold (or other available hot-stamping foils) in black, place the foil over the black ink & run it thru the machine & the foils would adhere to the black printed part. I'm going to get some tissues (if I can get them) & try it out, let u know if it works.

Thanks but you're way off base' date=' process wise. As those who know me, know I'm cheap as they come, So believe me when I say, this is an inexpensive method. :rolleyes: [/quote']

I did mean your method is inexpensive; I know your style and it's in my heart too. Maybe you confused it with my mentioning of the expensive manufacturing process.

When I hear expensive, I go into panic mode. :rolleyes:

One question though, you started out this foil printing with experiments on direct printing on the foil. Now you're using gift wrapping tissue so this would be the tranfering medium for the print just like using water-slide decals then. How much of the foils reflective quality is affected? Or the gift wrapping tissue is really translucent or made translucent with plastidip?

(Excuse me as gift wrapping tissues I use usually are just old newspaper bunched up :D, I am cheap too)

I like your frugal style, but to answer your question, yes the tissue is thin and translucent on its own, but becomes nearly transparent and undesernable after the Plasticoat. See the mackerel above.

I can already see an extention to your method if the tissue can go thru a hot-stamping machine (actually a laminating machince). We usually print the letterings (or whatever) on namecards that needs gold (or other available hot-stamping foils) in black, place the foil over the black ink & run it thru the machine & the foils would adhere to the black printed part. I'm going to get some tissues (if I can get them) & try it out, let u know if it works.

The wrapping tissue is not the same as the "blow your nose tissues" It is smooth, strong and thin. It comes in rather large sheets. I paid $1 for about 40 26" x 20 sheets. It also comes in colors.

Thanks for the clarification Husky. Your tissue paper sounds like what we refer to as tracing paper, there are the architecture grade stuff too but it's thicker. No need for me to experiment then, these stuff can definately go thru the hot stamping process.

see links below of hot-stamping:

holographic: http://www.hlhologram.com/hologram_hotstamping.htm

It is refered to as printing foil as well

http://www.techspan.co.nz/TIPS/hotstampingfoils.htm