badfish03

What is better for cutting bodies, lips?

I got a bandsaw for Christmas, and it has been great.

I would think a scroll saw would be slower, and the thin blade might also break a lot.

An 1/8th inch blade on a band saw can handle pretty much any delicate cut you need to make. And the 1/4 blade will go through most wood like a knife though soft butter.

The only problem I have had with the bandsaw was breaking a 1/4 in. blade by trying to get too fancy with a turn. And that involved cutting my son's Pinewood Derby car (fairly green pine), not any work on lures.

This is depends on answer :D

The more intricate (finer/tighter curves) scroll saw.

More graduated curves band saw. A band saw is faster too, but watch your fingers.

There are other considerations but I'll base my first evaluations on the these criteria first.

My personal favorite is a good wood carving knife for the balsa. I have tried the scroll saw but one thing I feel that it lacks is getting the feel for your bait, I am not sure how to explain what I am talking about. But I have done them on a scroll saw before, but much rather take a block of balsa and carve it out only using the knife.

I used a scroll saw until I got a bandsaw for Christmas. I could make much more intricate cuts with the scroll saw, but it was much slower and the blades tend to break.

I now use the bandsaw to quickly rough cut a batch of bodies and then shape them by sanding. I have not used the scroll saw since.

HOWEVER! I was using a $39 Harbor Frieght scroll saw and I would have been as happy as calm using it forever it had not received the bandsaw as a gift.

My personal favorite is a good wood carving knife for the balsa. I have tried the scroll saw but one thing I feel that it lacks is getting the feel for your bait, I am not sure how to explain what I am talking about. But I have done them on a scroll saw before, but much rather take a block of balsa and carve it out only using the knife.

I will be working mainly with cedar and basswood and lexan if that makes a difference.

So a bandsaw with 1/8" blade would be the choice of most folks I take it, but a scrollsaw would work as well only it is slower.

Any other down sides to a bandsaw besides lopping off fingers? :lol:

Robert

First off just because you use a band saw does NOT mean you will cut off your finger. you can cut yourself just a easily on a jig saw maybe even easier because of a false sense of security. As with using any power tool You must respect what the tool can do to you if you use it in an unsafe manner.

Now that that's out of the way both machines have trade

-offs

Band saw,

Pro's: Cuts faster, blade moves in one direction, more power, thicker stock capacity, More versatile

Con's: Cuts faster, Perception of danger, harder to do tight curves, can't cut inside holes

Scroll Saw,

Pro's: cuts slower, tighter curves, more intricate cuts can cut inside holes.

Con's: blade moves in two directions, Cuts slower, Can chatter stock if not held tightly.

Now which is better? It depends upon your budget & circumstances. My preference iss the band saw though.

Another vote for a band saw. For lure making a band saw with an 1/8" blade will be fine for the radius' we cut. An for me, having a big stationary machine makes me feel safer opperating it. Just take your time and let the blade do the work. My .02

Good luck.

Volp1

in the interest of complete correctness johnny

"you can cut your fingers OFF quicker with a band saw" You can cut off a finger with a scroll saw but it would take a few minutes. 8O

Personally I think my little scroll saw was more of a threat since it was less intimidating, I tended to be less cautious. The whirling blade of the band saw gets my attention and I am much more safety aware. I know one mistake and I will be going to the hospital with one of my fingers in an ice chest. :cry:

As Volp said, take your time and you will have no problem with a band saw. Push the wood when you start the cut, then pull it when you are halfway through. When you finish a cut and want to push scrap away from the blade, turn off the machine and wait for the blade to stop. If you do these things, you will have a very, very difficult time lopping off any fingers.