mossy maker

Red Hooks

Was wondering what everybody thinks of red hooks. I have read all the big lure companies claims but was hoping to get some regular folks thoughts on them. Personally I tried some with soft plastics and I can't say that I really saw a difference, but may put them on some baits I'm working on anyway.

mossy maker

Red hooks can make a difference in some circumstances.You have to remember red is the first color to fade away with depth.I see a lot of companies putting them on deep diving baits which is a waste.Depending on the water clarity,4-5 ft the red starts to fade too black.On a shallow diver,red has its place..Nathan

Thank you Nathan. I've tried to explain that to a lot of people over the years and all I get is blank stares like I've lost my mind. I have a friend who is a commercial diver and he told me that blood in the water even at 5 feet is black.

Tip: If you are fishing with red shad worms and you run out; switch to black.

This red hook business, for other than topwater, is simply designed to catch the fisherman again. :wink:

Dont know if fish see the same as us but red is the first color to go under water!! That is why i like using red fishing line, or it can make the hooks harder to see, if thats your thing. . .

Always wondered about that. We have line companies telling us that the red line is invisible under water and hook companies telling us that the red hooks cause more hits :huh: Someone lying to us :wink: Red is definitely visible underwater, its just that you do not see it as red after a few feet, it turns black.

Andrew

According to Doug Stange, long time editor of In-Fisherman, scientific research has proven that bass see red particularly well--gotta remember that red is the first color to disappear to our eyes. My experience indicates that many predator fish possess this ability. Alot of good bass fisherman would be more than a little upset if you took their red crankbaits from them. And the red-head white-bodied lure has long been the most popular color in the saltwater angler's tackle box. While there are about a kazillion marketing techniques constantly bombarding the modern bass fisherman, i've never doubted the effectiveness of the deep red color on bass lures.

Dean

It has always been my belief that the hooks on a crankbait should be as non-visible as possible , the color of the bait should be the turn-on that gets the fish attention , I believe that the red hooks in some instances actually turn off the fish ( clear water, heavy fished , etc. ) , I painted treble hooks for years red to use on flukes and trailer hooks on spinnerbaits for dingy water , but for crankbaits , topwaters , jerkbaits , rattletraps give me a gook set of bronze mustad triple grips anyday and I will put more fish in the boat at end of day than all the red treble hooks my buddy has in his box

In my opinion this red hook thing is garbage. I truely believe that fishermen need to take just a few baits, learn to use them well and most important......learn to find fish. That will increase your catch ratio more than red hooks. Too many folks look for the ultimate bait, the ultimate color, and the ultimate equipment to help them find fish. Personally, I believe your mind is the greatest fish finder there is.

Skeeter

I believe you Skeeter, the problem is if you a unknown bait maker your biggest market is the guy who is looking for the ultimate bait.

Personally, I try to build a bait that has action to catch fish, then I dress the bait up with a catchy paint scheme and red hooks so I can get someone to buy it. If the bait catches fish, the customer will come back.

Any time a tackle company comes out with words like "revolutionary"; I automatically think look out now. We have to remember that these companies have to constantly keep their sales up from year to year. So, they have to come up with new marketing programs in order to keep their jobs because if the company looses $ or the sales stay the same, the stockholders are not going to like that.

Because the pressure to increase sales is so great; that's when the "bull****" starts. A large part of marketing is smoke and mirrors. Get as close to a lie as you can and still retain some truth. Sort of like our elected officials,lol.

Anyway; just my 2 cents. :P