BassNator 1

Thinn Mann Info?

Wondering if anybody out there is making a bait similar to Mann's Thinn Mann. If so what kind of Cliff Note Cheat Sheets does anybody have if they have made something similar. Like the internal weight etc. I think I might have to give this design a look see and see if I can create my own. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! But Im gonna give some 1/2 inch Balsa a try. That sure is a lot thinner than I have used in the past. The only true issue I have with balsa is that my brand new drill bits dont get a clean cut in the wood... it like shreds it instead of cutting it. And any info or help on hole drilling into balsa would be appreciated! Thanks Cody

Bass nator I believe you would be happier going with the 1/2 inch balsa instead of the 1/4 or 3/8 , that stuff is too hard to get weighted properly and I don't believe that the thin wood has any advantages over a properly made 1/2 inch thick bait, my personal experience tells me that it is the action and not the thickness that matters most.

I have made some 3/8 inch baits ( small) and tested them in tank after placing weights in belly , floats great , I am happy with action , glue everything together , paint , seal and clearcoat with epoxy , tank test again , sunk like a rock, I ruined a half dozen baits and wasted countless amount of time , right then I decided that 1/2 inch thick was as thin as I would go from now. I normally try to weight my lures for a slow steady rise instead of a pop to the top like a cork rise. This is my personal experience with the thin wood , I am sure other folks have probably had good results........Prior to this experience I have made some thin baits that did alright, but I guess i must have been living right at the time.

I usually make thinn baits, but they don't have a big profile, like youre US lures have(different species of fish). You can remedy some of the problem by using a thinner wire through it.

I don't use balsa, but saome lucal wood. Don't know it's name in english. It's harder than that. It has the consistenci of pine, but it does-nt have those big fibres.

I-ve made some that have a larger profile that where 0.8cm thin. I could'nt really make them floating. And if i could it wouldn't rise like a thicker one, but with the nose up. Like it was a delfin ready to surface :|

Those ones worked best if i made them suspending. I didn't yet try to make them sinking, but when i do i'll let you know how they work.