WallsOut

Custom Mold Price?

What is the average price of a custom mold? Just a ballpark figure. Don need the exact dollar amount. I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just want a football head that accepts heavy duty hooks, preferably with two 3/4 oz and two 1 oz cavities. I have the Do-It mold, but it only accepts light wire hooks and they straighten on me all the time. I tried to modify it, but I get too much flash when I pour and it takes too much time to file and trim the excess.

Try using a little JB Weld to patch the areas that are giving you flash. It takes time to correctly modify a mold, I find it best to make adjustments gradually; it usually takes several attempts to get it just right. If you do go with a custom mold you are probably looking at anywhere from $50 and up for labor, JIM

Jim has it right. If you are not happy with it, JB it up (have a couple of the other JB's with coke while it cures), then sand/file/machine back to the flat faces and re-cut your areas if needed. If you are modifying spend a couple of hours drawing, measuring, and really nailing down a plan. Have jumped right after a few with the dremel and usually end up adjusting.

Keep your pot hot while you are cutting/re-cutting your cavity. Cut a little, test the pour, repeat until you are happy. I'm sure you mold is still fine...I have brought some back from the dead.