KingKarl

Lure stenciles/ patterns

Fellas I'm not sure if this has been asked before but, what materials do people use for their lure patterns stenciles? for instance i've been using Aluminium flashing as layovers with patterns cut out. but is there another material I should be using? what do you suggest and how are you using them?

karl

I use regular stencil material available at Walmart. Some people here use plastic milk cartons. I would suggest that whatever you use, you should be able to see through it so that you can properly align the stencil and it should be impervious to any chemical that you use to clean it.

Gene

For me I use the plastic that get when you buy something from the store, the packageing I mean it's thin plastic holds up for a long time, you can see through it, and piant comes off easy. Just take a razor blade cut your stencil out and boom bam your in buisness.

Note. the closer you hold it to the work piece the crisper it will be the further the more fadded it will be.

Robby.

I prefer Grafix brand medium weight Stencil Film. Has a matte finish so you can use a pencil to draw or trace your pattern then cut. Have the best results cutting it with a stencil burner (kind of like a really fine tip soldering iron). have also made stencils from manila folders, frisket, anything else that wasn't nailed down or too expensive to cut up LOL.

The Grafix film is about $4/ four sheets (9"x12") at Hobby Lobby/Michaels. Found it in the scrapbooking/stenciling section. Very easy to make some nice stencils using a scanner, digital pic, or original design from a sketch or a paint program using this material. Just print it, trace it, cut it, shoot it. Cut about 7 new craw and tiger patterns yesterday, plus some rib patterns.

i've been using little spacers under the template to keep it from contacting the paint surface, does anyone do anything like this?? does anyone lay it right on the bait??

I know if your flaming a car hotrod style you use fineline tape then mask off the other part of the car, i did this with a lure i wanted yellow and black bumble bee style, i think it might take to long though for lures

Robby,

I love that quote, I'd watch that movie just to hear and read it B) , the only part better in the movie was when Jane Kicked him in the aggots(ouchthat gotta hurt :cry: ).

All the reply posts got me thinking :idea: and then it hit me, 1mm Pvc clear sheet is perfect for stenciles/ patterns for all the right reasons that others have mentioned. But the is one point not mentioned which makes it micky mouse, is that PVC is mouldable, you add some heat over a bare lure body and you can shape it to the body then it goes hard again. So if you draw the lure shape/ then cut out your pattern/ heat the pvc to the Lure and the rest is history. what do you think worth giving it a go

Karl :P

Well before anyone else says it :lol::lol::lol: This site has a great search feature and t5hese questions have just come up recently :D:D I know because I asked them 8O8O

Anyway here are some of the threads

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5038

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5056

Theres tons more on this site have fun

Robert