bigbasser

5 gallons of plastic

Bigbasser:

I just got a 5 gallon in yesterday also. You can put a spout in the spot where that "hole" is but you have to screw out the metal part completely. I transfer mine into working amounts like gallons by....first mixing the plastic well with a drill/paint mixer...then using a cup or ladle and funnel to get it into my containers.

About 1/2 way through thr transfer process, I re-mix just to be sure.

If you do transfer into another bottle or container, be sure to make them well (especially if you have kids, pets etc.) and be sure that the receiveing container is "hard" plastic so that the plastisol doesn't break the container down. i'm sure there have been past posts on what containers to use.

jim

What exactly does the Paint Mixer for the drill look like. I went to Wally WOrld yesterday and could not find one. WIll be going by the hardware store today to see if they have one. If anyone has a pic. of one they could show that would be great. Getting ready to seperate out my 5 Gallons of Calhouns and want to make sure I mix it right.

One other question, del you might know this one. I have several old lurecraft 1 gallon bottles, that still has some of the hard white stuff on the bottom of the bottle from the mixture separtating. Is it OK to put the Calhouns into these bottles as is are should I try to clean them out really good before putting the calhouns in bottle.

Here is the paint mixer that I use. It's 12" long, and a little short for mixing a full 5 gallon bucket. You're better off trying to find one 16" or 18" long, that way your drill chuck won't end up under the liquid plastic.

Also, notice the 2 tilted blades on the bottom? They help get the liquids stuck to the bottom of the bucket loose and mixed really well.

You need to clean out as much of the crud from those bottles as you can, preferably all of it. It's not good to mix different brands of uncooked liquid plastic from my understanding.

paintmixer.jpg

I have not purchased a 5 gallon bucket yet, but there is a mixer at Menard's that is designed for reaching the bottom of five gallon buckets. I think it is actually in with the drywall supplies and is designed to mix "mud" without adding air bubbles. :P It is made out of alluminum, so it will last forever and it costs less than $10. Sorry, no picture. :rolleyes: