tbasse01

airbrush problem

I recently switch from enamel paint thinned with laquer to acrylic (createx) since it seems to be popular and great colours

I cannot get same finish with this paint as compared to enamel with comes out decent like a spray bomb

my paints splatters a bit and is inconsistent

do I use higher air pressure or lower?

do i thin or use mix in botte (acrylic thinner or water)

I use a syphon fed external mix brush

any tips on how to get a gret finish would be gret

thanks

troy

Troy...the short version is:

Usually need more psi with any acrylic, and should thin createx more than you may be. I shoot most of my baits between 30-50psi (Paasche VL and Millennium brushes), only dropping to 15-25 or so for splatter effects or some other specific low psi effect.

Check this thread for some more specifics on issues with C-tex & feel free to PM or email me. Once you get used to it, you will not regret the switch.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5038

It's tough to give you an exact, "always start this way", sort of rule on thinning C-tex. Some of the colors shoot fine right out of the bottle (transparent red and tint black, for examples). Others need lots of attention.

As a couple of examples, mixed in 1/4oz color cups:

1) Chartreuse...10-12 drops paint : 2-4 drops water : 2-4 drops retarder

2) Ghost brown craw...12-16 drops paint : 3-4 drops retarder : 6-8 drops plain transparent medium : 6-8 drops extender : 6-8 drops water

If you look at these mixes you can get an idea of the PAINT:OTHER STUFF mix ratio. The first mix is my basic chartreuse for sides, bellies, highlights...a nice dry shooting, brightly covering in 2-3 coats chart. The second is a very light, dry shooting, color that tends towards opacity at about 4-5 coats, but will still let light come thru a clear bait. Wouldn't shoot either of these below 35psi, mostly 40-45psi.

Dave is right on with his remarks. I am shooting with a Paasche VL myself. Some of the opaque colors have given me fits right out of the bottle, especially the opaque white. Straining the white through a piece of old pantie hose and/or adding a drop or two of pearl white has helped in smoothing it out. Also, if you are use to spraying lacquer, it may take you some time to get used to the finish of the Createx. It has a different look than the lacquer, at least to me it does. But after you apply the top coat, the paint comes alive.

Good luck.

Bill