lukach4

metal leafing

I recently made my first two crankbaits and thought of an interesting new way of getting a nice foil like apperience. Metal leafing. You can pick it up at Hobby Lobby for about 7 bucks. They come in really cool patterns saving you the trouble of painting or using foil tape. Has anyone else experimented with this techniqe. Thanks. :D

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

lures1_474.jpg

1399_thumb.attach

I have tried using metal leaf for scales by spraying sizing through netting and then applying leaf. It makes some nice scales, however, it is labor intensive. If you a simply covering the whole lure body check out some of the spray can sizing out on the market now. It has a large window of application time. This product will stick to a primer or paint finish, and shouldn't present any problems with a topcoat.

lukach4~Nice Baits BTW! What did you use to adhere the foil to the bait and did you burnish the foil after application?

I used a water based solution that is sold in the same area specifically for metal leafing. It almost looks like a watered down elmers glue mixture. You first brush it on and when it dries its tacky. At that point I just used a couple of q-tips taped togather to smooth it out. after that, I sprayed a layer of poly then painted. worked great. I just couldnt find foil tape that was thin enough to really contour the shape well. Hope some one else tries it . Let me know how it goes..... Jason