NJFishRGuy

Lure Craft Beaver Molds

Anyone else having trouble filling in the "flappers" in the smallest LC B'ver mold? I don't expect that little point to come out, but I am losing much of the flapper. I was using 2 parts plastic and 1 part salt with no softener. I've tried increasing the heat to the point that it starts to smell like it's burning and still no complete fill.

Do most of you guys use salt with this bait? I notice that the originals sink, that's why I added the salt.

Any suggestions?

That's what I was going to try next. My first batch had much better fill and had the same amount of salt, BUT it had one ounce of softener to four ounces of plastic. This last batch that didn't fill well had no softener. I'm going to add a little softener, decrease the salt, keep the plastic hotter and see if I can improve the outcome.

I'm having the same problem with my LC Sweet Beaver Molds, those flappers are just so thin it's hard to get them filled completely. Been using a small pair of tweasers to hold the flaps open some then pour in the plastic, this has seemed to help some, but not to much.

Hope to get some better ones to come out later today, and I am going to make my own fiberglass resin mold from them.

I have some and I smoked the plastic hot...added no salt or glitter and the flappers still won't come out...maybe 1 out of 4 baits.

I am sending my unopened molds back for credit as I am even unhappy with the resulting bait when it comes out fully!!!

Jim

Will U. poured one from a metal mold - better than the original Beaver!!

All details came out along with perfect flaps. Maybe he has some tips. I saw the picture of the lure in LC's cat. and wasn't impressed. His ribbed creature bait has the same problem - half-ass flaps and double tails that lack action. One flap cavity is too narrow to pour into.

Hmmmm... maybe that wasn't a very good subject title.

Anyway, I went back and looked at the first group of baits that I had made, and the majority of them have the flaps filled out. The difference was that I used one ounce of softener to 4 ounces of plastic (with 2 ounces of salt).

I would buy an aluminum one, but no one is making an aluminum smallie beav'r that I'm aware of. I asked Bob's and Delw.

I can get the flappers to pour out good, if I hold the flappers open with a pair of needle nosr pliers. I have now just poured up enough of the bodies (about 20-30) that I am now modifing into even better baits. My first modification to the bait worked out great, as it one me a Tx this past weekeend, with my big 6.6#er coming of the Split-Tail Vibra call.

I opened up the flap a little with an exacto knife and they fill a little better. I think the problem is they extend back from the end on the opening and it traps air in there so they can't fill completely. I guess the demand was just so great they didn't worry about the quality. But the baits still look good enough for me, but I wouldn't want to sell them. I don't think the fish will mind, I'll let you know next week if they do. :twisted: