flippncrazy

dipping tubes

I am new to this and would like to give dippin soft plastics a try after finding out my supplier will no longer be making my tubes anymore. So I will do my own tubes and need some good advice about dippin tubes.

I plan to use either 1/4" or 5/16" inch rods ( aluminum or stainless steel ? )

I have my liquid plastic already and also plan on remelting some old plastic so I can keep the same color for some of my baits.

Ok this is my problem, I am not sure about the dippin technique, Do you dip the rod and turn it up side down or do you dip it and spin it horizontal or vertical to keep the bait round and uniform ?

I'm not sure what the salt to plastic ratio is ? would it be 1 part salt to 2 parts plastic ?

I also plan on using "L" shaped rods for dippin laminated colors any suggestions on this type of method ?

I have poured plastic in molds before but dippin with rods is all new to me so any production tips for personal use will be greatly appreciated.

thanks NJfishRGuy great link lots of good info that answers alot of my questions.

Does microwaving plastisol in a pyrex glass keep the plastic hot very long ? I have heated plastisol in aluminum pot sitting on electric portable stove top, My question is from anyones experience which is better ? I would have to say heating in a pot would keep the plastisol hot longer giving you more time to dip more frequently between cooling instead of the microwave method. Of course if you heat up too high and maintain too high of heat on the stove it will scorch and discolor the plastic.

I will do some dips in the next couple days and post some pics and see what you guys think.

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Flippncrazy

I prefer the micro to the hotplate. Although I still use the hotplate for 3 color pours. The drawback with the micro is that you can get small bubbles in the plastic, but if you heat in short bursts they aren't so bad.

The problem with the hotplate is that it is much easier to burn your plastic.

I was messing with the hot plate and thought i should use a candy thermometer to regulate the temperature on the hot plate. I first used water to set the temperature then heated up the plastic up.

I found it to work ok for now, I'll give the microwave a try soon, I hate being in the doghouse for "unauthorized use of cookware" LMAO (pyrex cookware).

I've been dipping for a while. You must spin until the plastic starts to set up from liquid to solid. I turn the madrels by hand in front of a fan, it takes about 20 seconds per dip. Hotter plastic=thinner dip, I use cooler plastic when I'm trying to add bulk. Around 320 degrees, I dip in a Pyrex container.

IM001744.jpg

and you can use the photo if you need to

I fooled around with my first attempt and 1 looked pretty good and kinda goofed on the other 1, I was not sure how to hold the rod , at first I had it facing head down and seemed to get more better looking shape, then heads up and got deformed looking droops in the body and odd looking tip, I did notice the thick and thin plastic you mention I had it really thin and seemed like forever to get the bait to take on any bulk and there was a time I guess when it cooled a little the plastic was thicker like you mentioned, of course inexperience got me and I burned the plastic it went from pepper white to tan pepper in no time, I need to try the microwave next time around so I dont burn the plastic. Here is a picture my first dip smoke and white, the other milky white with black flakes, they are almost 7/8" wide the other one about 3/4" wide

Sorry tried to post pics but wont go thru

Microwave heating is the best way to maintain a hot plastic instead of a hot plate ?

Earthworm 77 thanks for the picture that bait looks very good and your helpful tips, also when you dip for larger tubes do you use a larger rod 3/8" rod so that the plastic walls are not too thick and get away from having to use too much plastic for one bait instead of a 1/4" rod which would take more time and plastic to get a bigger bait ? and last Q. for your larger tubes how many dips for the tail before you dip just for the body thickness I guess 2-3 whole dips then dip midway for body thickness ?