MikesCustomLures

Spinnerbait Swivel Help!!

Hey everybody,

I was referred here by some guys from Bill Dance's website saying this was the place to go for this question. Anyways, I've been making lures for a while now. I just started doing it publicly. Now, I want the best of the best for anyone I sell them to. You can see pictures of my lures on the Bill Dance site under the General forum. I've been using Sampo swivels for my blades on my spinnerbaits (I make bass jigs, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits). I noticed that Dale Sellers and a few others use Worth ball bearing swivels. Which do you guys prefer? Thanks for any help!

Mike

Real nice looking baits!!!!!!!!!! I think it is a personal choice thing when it comes to swivels. I`ve used both Worth & Sampo swivels, price is another item. If I can get either at a lower price that is what I go with. They both seem pretty equal to me, as far as performance goes.

PaBasser

Mike,as with anything personal preference normally prevails. The only swivels I have used other than Worth are Sampo.Swivel lock up is the most common complaint when it comes to ball bearing Swivels.I basically have had 0 complaints since switching to Worth about 3 years ago.As with most opinions giving in a forum,you will find people who have had bad experiences with any component regardless the mfg. And personal preference accounts for a lot too.

A good portion of my wirebaits are used in or around Mill Foil, Hydrilla, and some type vegitation. Aquatic Vegitation is murder on components.

Worth just holds up better.

As for Blades my personal opinion is that other than Hildibrant,Worth makes the best blade money can buy.Their again it goes back to what "tool" the spinnerbait is used for. I use a much different wire than most wirebaits are made from. The diameter is much smaller than normally used but the strength is greater.Worth Premium Blades are just a good solid heavy Blade.The combination downsized wire and premium blade makes my wirebaits track straight and the vibration is very good.

Lakeland Blades are good Blades although I dont care for there basic Blade.It's not that they make a cheap poor quality Blade on purpose,but thats whst it is.The price also reflects the quality.If I were going to buy Lakeland blades I would purchase the "nickel laquer" blade. It is a good quality blade and the price reflects that.

the Worth cat. is confusing.I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that you can purchase much less than a thousand components.The price may be a little higher for the components but they have sold me many things (including swivels) in quantities less than a thousand.

One piece of un-solicited advice I would give anyone when it comes to making custom tackle. Everybody and there brother makes a jig-spinnerbait-buzzbait custom paints and hand builds hardbaits.-------

Make something different/make something that another guy will have to "scratch his head" to try and duplicate/and never ever sacrifice quality when it comes to components.Use the best materials and components you possibly can. Dale Sellers is a master at this. It also sounds like you are inquisitive about what is best for your lure.(and that is good)

Let me know if I may help B&B

Welcome aboard, I would go with Worth, they make a good swivel, plus they make some great blades, beads, and everything else you will need except skirting. Sampos are way too expensive and have no characteristics that warrants the price difference. Personally would buy the japanese B.B. swivels before I would get Sampos, I have not ever seen anyone that would buy a bait over another brand because it had a Sampo on it and the other one didn't. Regardless I have been using Worth swivels for years and never had a complaint yet, JIM

i've tried every swivel i can find and have found none that spins as smooth and as long as a sampo. i've got a thousand worth's that i use on baits when someone is bumming. easy spinning is critical for slow speed blade rotation and less torqueing on the bait. when buying in volume, sampo's are about the same price. i use worth blades for the small front blades but the quality isn't good enough for the main blade on my baits.