softworm

Question about making resin mold

I'm going to make a resin mold instead of glueing the masters to the pan, has anyone tried using double sided tape? I haven't had much luck glueing the masters down, some of them release before the resin hardens and I end up with a mess. I'm using a teflon coated pan could this be a problem? Seems to me the tape would be alot easier and quicker!!!!!!

Don't use teflon, use straight metal. That's why the glue won't hold. Even with that I still(every so often) get one of the baits to float in the resin.

The double-sided tape will leave a void under the bait where the resin will run into. This will cause you to have to do a major clean up to get the mold into pouring shape and more you mess around with the mold cleaning up the more chance you have to damage the features of the bait ruining the mold.

It also depends on the superglue you use, I have tried several different brands and some hardly work at all and others really work good. THe one I am using now, I bought at Wal-Mart, kind of a Triangular shaped bottle, with 2 red buttons on the side that you squeze to get the glue out.

I will get the name off the bottle later and post it here.

Rather than create another thread I thought I would ask in here...

I saw it in a previous post but can't seem to find the post now, it was talking about cracking in resin molds it also mentioned or someone mentioned the use of matting in the resin molds.

If I use resin and decide to layer matting in the mold to help it prevent from cracking or breaking should I do it like this?

1) Glue bait down

2) Pour Resin to cover bait completely

3) Lay matting down gently and let "setup" for a few minutes to an hour and then go back over it with more resin?

The reason why I say to let it setup some is if you just throw some matting in there and then immediatley pour right on top of that wont that push or force the matting down into the bait which could mess up the mold when you take everything out?

Just curious...

I've also noticed from posts on here that most people aren't using matting in thier resin molds. I don't know which way I'll go with it yet, but I figured I would ask about the matting.

Thanks!

I've never used the matting in the molds but I have used 4" nails. 8O

Let me explain. A couple of the baits I pour, I have to tip the mold slightly and after several hundred baits the mold got so hot it began to sag. The nails are placed in the resin as soon after it is poured in the pan. I make large molds so ther are 2 nail, head to tail down each side and 2 nails in the center. Now my molds don't deflect with the heat. :idea:

Thanks for all the replys guys. I've poured 2 molds since my post on this one with resin, one with water putty. Both turned out excellent :!: :!: I bought a new metal pan (no teflon) glued baits down with elmers super glue, they turned out fantastic :!: :!: Got 2 more to make. I'll try and post pictures of them. Thanks guys

I never use any kinda of matting on my resin mlds, just use the metal or glass pans, super glue to the bottom and pour the resin. If your resin is cracking it's probably because you are using to much hardner, it will get to hot and harden up to quick and crack.

All I use is resin molds except for the few I order from LC, but then I use the baits poured from them to make more resin molds.