RP

Been Lurking for a while, now it's time to ask a question

I just finished sealing my first crankbait and am ready to attempt painting it. How can I prep the bait so that if I screw up the paint job, I can start over? I am assuming that each "layer" of paint needs to have some sort of coating in order to protect it - but after reading lots of info here I'm confused as to what to use (createx clear? more epoxy?) Thank you for your help! RP

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

dsc00501.jpg

1405_thumb.attach

RP,

You do not need to seal the bait after each coat or color of paint. Just paint the entire bait completely and clearcoat it. If you use water based paints you can wipe off a mistake with a damp rag immediately after you have shot the paint. But you must make sure that the color under it is completely cured. Otherwise that color may lift also. Other than that there is no easy way that I know of to do it. Making good crankbaits and painting them is not an easy thing to do. Otherwise everyone would be doing it. Like I have said on this site many times, "You have to love making crankbaits to be really good at it. "

Skeeter

You have prepped the bait by sealing it. If you mess up the paint job (waterbased createx) you can always run warm h20 over the bait and get back to the sealed/primed layer. Each createx layer does not need to be protected. That would add a lot of weight to a bait. Nice looking lure btw.

Good Luck

ok one note of dissent...I get a lot of problems when wiing off c-tex so I like multiple thin clearcoats: Base Color (usually belly and back) >clearcoat>details (scales, stripes, coachdog, etc)>clearcoat>eyes, shad spots>clearcoat. Definitely weight is a concern, esp with devcon. Have not tried E-tex, but it works fine with flex coat as long as you apply a thin coat. Also lets you add some "depth" to your color blends and details.

It takes more time, but it beats watching your almost finished paint job peel off because you tried to wipe off the last shad spot.