bombadier

Recoating time Devcon

Being fairly new at plug building my top coats don't always come out great with the first coat. My question is how soon can I apply a 2nd coat of Devcon to fill in the imperfections? I searched the site and I couldn't find too much on this subject. One post said 24hrs. Any suggestions? I have a couple now rotating on the dryer that are probably going to need a second coat.

If i have to re coat mine i let them dry till i can handle them. There is no need to wait 24 hours in my opinion. If they are small and i mean small imperfections let the epoxy set up for about 30 min or so and lick your finger and gently smooth over the imperfection (like you are wax it with your finger. Anyway's a surefire way is to just wait until you can handle the bait and re coat. Or you can let it cure and sand a little and re coat. I have done it all and everything works for me so far. You are just going to have to see what you like, there are some ideas. Need anymore help PM me.

I gave it 4hrs on these lures and they seem just as hard as a long wait to recoat. I bring in an electric heater to warm the shop before I start so it's maybe mid 60's, maybe. My problem is I can't wait to coat'em that I get sloppy about wiping them off with alcohol before coating them so i get small areas that pull away. Can't wait to fish these things now.