Maypo1979

Createx Starter Color Recommendations

I am new to painting crankaits with an airbrush, and I am looking for some help with recommendations on my first order of Createx paints. I am trying to paint color schemes similar to the following commercialy available patterns:

Norman: Green Joe

Norman: Sun Chartreuse/Blue

Bagley: Chartreuse Crayfish

Bagley: Firetiger

Rebl: Bone Orange

Any help with recommended colors, extenders, size bottles, etc would be appreciated.

Steve

Size of bottle will depend on how much you intend to paint, and how much you like the paint. On colors, at a minimum:

Pro Flow White (x-treme opaque white for base coats...shoot with #5 assembly)

Opaque: Black, White, Yellow, Red

Transparent regular: Leaf Green, Pthalo (sp?) Green, Dark Brown, Light Brown, Orange, Scarlet, Yellow, Gray, Red

Pearl White

Fluorescents: Sunburst, Red, Yellow (out of the bottle chartreuse), Green (lime for the f-tiger)

Hi-Lite or Chameleon colors: All of them...Gold, Blue, Violet, Green

Additives: Retarder (slows tip drying, aids color blends), Extender (to increase transparency), Transparent Medium (use for mixing colors & decreasing a color value). Also invest in some Createx cleaner.

For the bone/orange color I use Golden Acrylic Titan Buff in Golden medium and mixed to the correct shade with C-tex browns and yellows. Best bone color I have found. Should be able to mix to most colors you need with the colors listed above. My most used colors (except for white base coat) are the Flo Yellow, Flo Orange (bellies), Leaf Green, and the 2 browns.

Thanks for everything Dave, I placed the order tonight from DixieArt.com. I was able to get the 4 oz bottles of most colors at about the same price that Michaels and A.C.Moore wanted for 2 oz bottles. I ordered the Pro Flo White in a 32 oz bottle.

One question I had for you is what you meant by the "#5 Assembly" for the X-Treme white base coats.

Thanks again,

Steve

Pro-Flow White shoots best thru a larger tip/cone/needle assembly. For Paasche this is a #5, for some others I think it is called 5mm. Basically, it is a thicker paint that requires a larger diameter set-up to shoot well, plus some thinning.

Dixie has good pricing, but don't be surprised to run into some out of stock issues. They are not the best about informing you of outs. On my most recent order ($100+ of C-tex and parts) I included in the order message a request to be emailed about out of stock items...got a generic letter back about their out of stock policy :( Not thrilled.

The golden acryilic comes as pigment which needs to be added to their airbrush medium and thinned. It is a nice opaque paint...can get a color similar to the Rebel bone or the old Normans bone. I buy it at Michael's/Hobby Lobby (sorry...they are a few blocks from each other where I go, so I never remember where I find things...find some neat stuff looking though).