dtrs5kprs

direction to rotate

Had not experimented much with direction of rotation for drying/curing of clear coats until the past week or so. Have always turned the baits parallel to the shaft of the dryer (side over side...held sideways by the lip in gator clips) and ben ok with the results.

Have been doing some bigger jerkbaits (pointer 128, etc) that will not conveniently turn in my normal style due to size issues. So I started slapping them in parallel to the clip shafts (perpendicular to the dryer shaft...sticking out like wheel spokes...end over end).

Lo and behold...I believe the finish is better and more consistent drying the baits in the second method. Finish is more level, more free of irregularities of any kind, less build up around the lips and hook hangers. Thought it might be specific to jerkbaits due to body shape, so I turned about 20 warts and N's that way to test it Thursday, along with a few turned side over side...definitely better results with end over end. I thought I was content with side over side drying, but no more.

Just an IMHO thing, but if you are having clearcoat issues it might be something to try.

Guess it's one of those things that "when you think you have it all figured out"............you learn something new. :D

I have always dried mine end over end but have found that there is a range of speed that works better than others. If you get the wheel going too fast it will cause the etex to puddle in various spots rather than remain even throughout the surface. Too slow and and it tends to gather at the nose and tail, strange.

jed

Dave,

I've done it both ways and never really noticed a difference; until yesterday. On my thin, flat, balsa Shad Babes, I'd been getting a little build-up of dipped primer, Devcon, and E-tex along the perimiters of the lure, leaving the baits slightly dished, especially noticable at the widest part of both sides. After reading your post, I secured a freshly Devcon-sealed Shad parallel to the lure-holding shaft and it dried perfectly even! This will sure save me a bunch of time and nasty sanding! Thanks a bunch for this post :!:

Dean :D

It's a wierd thing. I am dangerously close to being a "chemist" but in no way into physics so I have no explanation for it. Turned 23 more bodies...big and regular rogues, warts, baby N's...last night, end over end except the N's (would not fit the clips right). Basically the same results...end over end baits are much more even.

Has to be related to that moment when curing and levelling finish becomes cured finish, maybe with respect to what point in the rotation the bait is in. Seems like the amount of finish applied, and probably room temp would be factors also.

My results have all been with Flex Coat HB. Interesting to hear of similar issues with the other clears.