Lock 45

Lure retriever ... any suggestions on making one?

I fish large lures for Musky. Lasy year I lost three big tandem bucktails that I tied.

How abot some ideas on making lure retrievers? Both for big spinner baits and large wooden plugs.

I seem to envision a serious weight with a ring and chains attatched? Any success stories to tell me about? How about posting some pictures for all to see?

Thanks,

Dan Miller

3 suggestions That I have used with success with my crank baits. I am not sure how this would work with Jigs, spinner baits or large plugs but they work for my bass cranks.

1) A pocket rock/Plug knocker - Use a large weight that has a line tie molded in. Attach a removable swivel to this which will allow you to attach to your line. Send it down and it will usually pull the bait loose. Sometimes you have to shake it. I have good success with this and keep one in my pocket.

2) Get a Chalk line tool at the hardware store. Replace the string with the strongest braided line you can find. Attach a heavy weight with several strands of chain to the line. This is very compact and keeps your line free of tangles.

3) Take an old broken rod that you have laying around. Cut it to about 2 ft. and put a new tip guide on. Get a push button reel and spool it with heavy braid. Attach your weight and chain to the braid. This also keeps the line tangle free and is hard to loose because you keep it with your other rods.

Hey lock45,

over here in OZ we call them tacklebacks, and there are plenty of good ones out there beleive me. i use two main types (depending where I am and how deep I'm fishing and the lures I'm using).

the first one is your basic extendable pool pole with a large cork screw on the end, simular to a totum tennis coil with the center end cut off, this unit simply follows your line (once you coil it on) down to your lure and you prod it off.

the other is for big/small lures in deep water, it can be made from either a lenght of S/S rod (1''x6''long) or a lead filled bit of tube, with two pig tails welded to one side facing each other (our line is wound into the P/tails to guide the "tackleback" to your lure) at one end you need to weld a D shackle across the end to attach your cord and at the other end you weld another D shackle, but before you do weld it on you need to attach 6 or so lenght of 1/2" long linked chain on to the D. We make them different sizes (2each) so to get hooked up on the front middle or rear trebles.

if the chain doesnt hook up to the lure the weight of the thing should knock it off the structure.

Now you attach your cord to the other end and then wynd it on to a plastic hand reel, how much cord you put on, depends on the depth of the water you fish in, Ive got around 80ft of 1/8 nylon cord with a B/strain of 200pounds once I've sorted out how to put photos on this here board I'll put some on for you to look at.

how do you use this is simple let it down you line and once it gets to the end , put tention out lure you jig and bob both up and down till you get the lure off, simple.

they cost around twenty to fourty bucks to make pending on material so 2 or 3 lure and they've paid for themselves

hope this helps, and as i said I'll post a photos asap

karl

Hey lock45,

over here in OZ we call them tacklebacks, and there are plenty of good ones out there beleive me. i use two main types (depending where I am and how deep I'm fishing and the lures I'm using).

the first one is your basic extendable pool pole with a large cork screw on the end, simular to a totum tennis coil with the center end cut off, this unit simply follows your line (once you coil it on) down to your lure and you prod it off.

the other is for big/small lures in deep water, it can be made from either a lenght of S/S rod (1''x6''long) or a lead filled bit of tube, with two pig tails welded to one side facing each other (our line is wound into the P/tails to guide the "tackleback" to your lure) at one end you need to weld a D shackle across the end to attach your cord and at the other end you weld another D shackle, but before you do weld it on you need to attach 6 or so lenght of 1/2" long linked chain on to the D. We make them different sizes (2each) so to get hooked up on the front ,middle or rear trebles.

if the chain doesnt hook up to the lure the weight of the thing should knock it off the structure.

Now you attach your cord to the other end and then wynd it on to a plastic hand reel, how much cord you put on, depends on the depth of the water you fish in, Ive got around 80ft of 1/8 nylon cord with a B/strain of 200pounds once I've sorted out how to put photos on this here board I'll put some on for you to look at.

how do you use this is simple let it down you line and once it gets to the end , put tention on our lure, you jig and bob both up and down till you get the lure off, simple.

they cost around twenty to fourty bucks to make pending on material so 2 or 3 lure and they've paid for themselves

hope this helps, and as i said I'll post a photos asap

karl

I also fish big baits for mushy. What I do is this. The rope I use to launch the boat with has a "D" clip on it I use to attatch to the boat. I went to Ace hardware and bought 4 1/2 feet of cahin with about 1 inch rings. Then I cut the chain into 4,1 foot lenghts which I keep in my drybox.When I get a snag I put the 4, 1 foot chains in the "D" clip still connected to the launch rope ,and clip it to the snagged line. Lift the rod tip up and let it slide down the line til I hit the leader.Jiggle it a little, til it clears the leader and slides down to the bait. Jiggle it a little more til 1 of the chains grabs a hook, and give it a yank. If that doesn't work I go to plan b. I basicalluy clip the anchor to my "d" clip ,slide it down to the leader. Then use it as a big bait knocker.I have saved over 100$ worth of baits for 10$.