goldenarrow

saltwater swim baits

Does anybody on here pour a saltwater shad body like a fishtrap? I have made a resin mold and tested it with some recycled plastic I am just curious wether or not I need hardner. If I dont i can buy the plastic and colors in town but if i do need it I might as well order it all online.

thanks, patrick

you can buy plastic in town!!!! Lucky dog!

IMO hardner is nice becasue fish tear the swimbaits up and even short bites will tear even a FT. No matter what they dont last IMO so why not leave the plastic soft and they will hold on better. Just save your torn up baits and cut the colors apart and remelt them to pour more.

it depends what kind of plastic it is. i have some real soft m-f and the swimbaits barely last one fish. they'll come down the shank if i cast them too hard. i use hardener in my baits with the current plastic i have. but, if the plastic you get is hard enough, you wont need to add hardener.

Man, the plastic they sell there is 3G, it might not need any hardener. The FW in San Jose has hardener, so Fresno probably does too. If you are gonna make a ton of baits you should buy some calhoun or LC 502 and some hardener. I make 6" fishtraps during groundfish season and they work good. Just beware of the plastic they sell at FW if you want consistent quality to your baits. Stir the crap out of it if you do buy it from them! Make sure you scrape the bottom of the jug too loosen the hardener and MIX MIX MIX it!

I don't think Bob or Del are making a swim bait mold. Are most people making their own mold or are these the Lure Craft molds. It is so hard to determine which Lure Craft mold I like as their are many models and the pictures are hard to decipher. Pop

Ill have to post some pictures i came up with a few colors the other day in preparation for Sundays tournament. Resin molds are the way to go on the swimbaits IMO. Would be kinda nice to have allum ones though. Problem with swimbaits in the rtv is the mold often must be preheated to get the swimbaits to look good (if personal use it dont matter though)