MikesCustomLures

Paint on Spinnerbait Blades???

I use powder paint, vinyl paint, model paint. I use a paint brush,an air brush, a makeup brush ( borrowed from my wife).

When using powder paint, heat the blade, then dip the makeup brush in powder paint, then tap makeup brush to release the amount of paint you want on each blade. You can control the paint by tapping the brush over the blade.

Wether using powder paint or any other kind of paint. I put at least one or two coats of epoxy over the blades, this makes them very durable. If you want to use powder paint, and want to do alot at any one time, then you should purchase or make a fluid bed for the powder paint.

You can also use spray paint right out of the can.

I always put atleast one or two coats of white on blades before final colors, the white makes for a better base to show various colors more vivid. Then comes the epoxy, always put epoxy over paint, the paint will stay on much longer.

I hope this helps,

PaBasser

Ps.

When I use other paint other than powder paint, I etch my blades with Muratic acid ( you can get this at any hardware store, they use it for masonary work) When you etch the blades the paint sticks on the blades better.

Component Systems has come out with an an airbrush to shoot powder with. It won't set you back too bad, $38 if I remember right. Uses very LOW air pressure. 3-8 psi. It does a decent job. You need to make a collection booth out of a box with a shop vac hook to it to keep down the mess. It will also shoot the powder paint with glitter mixed in. I use a pair of forceps to hold the blade while heating and painting and it leaves only a small spot that does not get paint.

George Reeves

H & P Tackle

Welch, OK

Paasches Air-Eraser will shoot powder also. PaBasser's tip on using muriatic acid to etch the blades works great (it is also a good way of corroding a buzzbait rivet to get some extra sweak) or try Eastwoods self etching primer. The biggest problem with powder or epoxy on blades is chipping at the sides, the best thing I have used to avoid this is Pelucid clear coating, JIM