NJFishRGuy

Beavers; to salt or not to salt

I throw the origonals weightless so If I were to pour them I would add salt but I dont think i would pour them because I like the store bought ones just fine. the dubble sided bait seems like it causes more desterbance in the water and I like how durable they are I caught 5 good sized bass on one without it tearing.

Those are some beautiful baits!

I understand that they are (sometimes) supposed to be fished weightless for a really slow fall; for that, seems to me salt would be needed.

The reason everyone wants to pour them is that a) they are not made in the colors that are needed everywhere, and B) they are often out of stock virtually everywhere you check.

I like them better without salt; I think I'm going to start making more of them that way.

I think Charlie that the only bait that requires salt is the Senko type worm.

It increases the drop rate, which directly effects the rate of tip action.

Some still believe that salt is an attractant or promotes a longer bite time, but I only see it as extra weight that may reduce the need for a bullet sinker when Texas rigged in non-Senko baits. (After experimenting with live bait and scent, ice fishing, I think I have to agree with Berkley that desolved protein salts (like Mega Strike), are the only effective scent additives.)

A clear translucence can only be achieved with no salt, but a salt laminate may be the answer when you want the best of both worlds. Maybe not so much for the Beaver, but definitely for the Senko. Cloudy translucence from clear-flake weighting, allows some light/color through and is the only other alternative to salt.

If you want the salt for taste, then why not just sprinkle it on the hot plastic right after you pour the bait? It takes away the shiney look and some coloring of the bait but it gives you the salt your after. There is a few bait makers doing it! I think that is what robo worm, Kamakazi and some others do on their baits. That is what it looks like, But I could be wrong!

I have poured them both ways with no salt being my favorite. I like the knock offs better than the originals because of the softer bait and they have a great gliding action with one side being flat.

Also, I like lime green and smoke blue pearl....RI doesn't do those (yet)...

Jim

Just out of curiosity could someone tell if on the beaver, the main paddle part in the middle, is that suppose to be cut so that is spreads open. Or is it just suppose to be left like it comes? I think I remember someone talking about this but I can't remember what they said.

I pour them "whole" and leave it up to the angler to cut them. When I flip them I leave the tail whole. If I rig them on a jig or jog head, I split the tail.

Don't know why but that has worked well for me and caught plenty of fish!!!

Jim

I pour them "whole" and leave it up to the angler to cut them. When I flip them I leave the tail whole. If I rig them on a jig or jog head' date=' I split the tail.

Don't know why but that has worked well for me and caught plenty of fish!!!

Jim[/quote']

Thanks for the advice. I have never used them. Plan on giving them a try around here onces it warms up

Depending on how you are fishing them, you can just t-rig them with a #4 wide gap and a bullet weight. I peg my weight if I'm fishing any kind of cover to prevent the weight from hanging on something.

I also fished mine with just a 1/32oz weight for a slooow fall presentation around docks...killer method!!!

Are you pouring those or do you need some?? Let me know and I can get you some nice samples out if need be. They are a great bait to fish!!!

Jim