brandonjh00

buying devcon or e-tex?

Where cna I find these? Thank god for this site! I just painted my first crankbaits last night and was going to fish them today. All I had was 3 coats of createx gloss coat, but after reading, I guess it won't hold up!

p.s. I'm in columbus, OH so there are many stores, who is more likely to carry and which is better?

Brandon,

Be careful about using etex or devcon over the top of many of the plastic baits. Many of the plastic baits are not designed to have a thick clear coat put on them and when you put the stuff on it will dramatically change the action. You might even find that some baits won't swim at all with a thick coat of clear on them. If you are repainting plastics I would suggest you use a spray on lacquer or similar type of clear coat that goes on thin. Maybe someone else with more experience in this regard can chime in here and help you.

If you do put the etex/devcon on try it on just one bait first to see what happens.

Jed

try some fast drying clear gloss lacquer , get in quart can and you can just dip and hang to dry, can says will dry in 30 min. , but I normally wait an hour or two, dip from 2-4 times , let dry for approx 24 hrs before using , stays on plastic baits good and don't add much weight. word of caution, try a scrap piece of wood painted with the paint you are usiing first to make sure that the lacquer doesn't harm paint, the paint I use is for rc type applications and the lacquer doesn't affect it if you let it dry good before applying.

I should've read this first! I just coated 3 lures, they look ok I guess and there are shallow running wide wobblers, so hopefully devcon won't kill it too much. As for the plastic spray coating lacquers, etc, can that also be used on balsa baits if they are just being repainted, like a bagley that I repainted?

been using clear gloss lacquer dipping for about a year now, plastic and wood , just make sure test on scrap piece first and let paint on baits dry good , I haven't had any trouble so far , probably not a durable as epoxy but is 1000% easier, multiple coats are the key , I have personally caught over 30 bass on a plastic bait dipped in lacquer and shows very little wear.

haven't had any yellowing yet, the stuff I use is Parks brand that I get a local Ace hardware, says it is non-yellowing formula, for interior use , haven't had any trouble with water getting into my baits after dipping from 2-4 times, has worked for me for almost a year, probably won't hold up to musky teeth though, I went to the lacquer because I was getting very discouraged with epoxy , between bubbles, clouding,and fish eyes it was driving me crazy, I do like the looks of a epoxy bait though if you can get a good top coat.