musky1

Kiln dry?

Has anyone tried to kiln dry their own wood? I've been having problems with my Devcon cracking. I've heard if the wood isn't completely dry your going to have problems. I thought about putting some cedar in the oven at a low temperature to dry it out some more. Any suggestions. Thanks. Jim

Wow, Kiln drying wood to me is like sticking ur head into a hornet's nest. It's a science and so many things can go wrong, not to mention if ur wood is already treated it might realease toxic fumes in the "kiln" u mentioned.

Check this link out for info: http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/linkr.htm If you search the web there's tons of info on home base kiln drying wood. Good luck.

I have heard of guys turning on the wood lathe that put there wood in the microwave to help dry it. Never done it, only heard of it. You can buy meters that will tell the moisture content of the wood, without one I'm sure it would be a guess as to the true moisture content. Wood for woodworking is usually done around 6 to 7%.

mossy maker

If you dry your wood to fast the cell structure could collapse causing it to become brittle. not a good thing for lures.

the safest thing you could do is to store your wood in a dry conditioned space (ie: any room in your house that is warm and above ground level) for 1-3 months prior to final use and or shaping. THis is not al;ways possable so the next best thing is to buy your supplies from a good reputable supplier and ask them plenty of questions about what they sell.