gertv

Fully enclosed moulds

Are there ways to hand pour into fully enclosed mounds? For instance, to pour a complex shape like a super fluke so that in the end you don't end up with a length of flat area where the plastic was poured? It must look 100% like the real thing.

Maybe I did not explain the question well enough. I am in the process of experimenting with silicone rubber molds.

1-I made a mold by pouring the silicone completely over a needle worm suspended with pins to have it "float" in the silicone.

2-Once cured I cut both end and remove the sample.

3-Pour the rubber in from the top. When cooled down I pulled the worm out from the top end. - Perfect.

The problem here was that the top end of the worm looked nothing like the nice round head of the original.

I then repeated the molding process but glued a piece of round hot wax to the head of the worm. When I poured the rubber into the mold the hole was much smaller but the roundness of the head was retained. (just cut off the piece of of rubber left in the "hot wax" cavity.

Pulling the whole worm through this small hole then became a problem, especially when the rubber was still hot. I solved this by pumping compressed air into the tail end of the mold. Pinching the top end makes the mold blow up like a baloon and when you let go the worm just pops out!!!

So next I am going to refine this to try and do a Super Fluke.