dragline

Carving jointed cedar plugs

Dragline,

I don't have a lathe, so what I do is cutout the side and top profiles on the piece of wood that I'm using, then rough it to shape with a set of carving knives, and then sand it to its final shape. I then drill it to accept a through-wire rig, or at least deep enough to take a 3/16" by 1" SS cotter pin.

I then cut the bait so that the body of the bait forms a hollow in the shape of a V. The tail should then fill the V that you just cut. The I install the wire or cotter pins, so that the tail will "wag" horizontally. Don't know if anyone else does it a different way.

I actually got the idea from the Optimum AC Plug Minnow. (Page 77 in Cabela's Walleye/Pike catalog.)

Brock

I just remebered that I had an old antique Pikie in my great-grandfathers fishing stuff, so I went and got it.

It says "CCB CO (then underneath that) GARRETT IND" and Pikie on the top of the body.

The makers cut the body in two, with a slight slant on both the left and right sides of the slot. They also slanted the left and right sides of the front of the tail. They cut a slot into the rear of the body, and inserted a piece of SS with a hole drilled in both ends of it. The slot and piece of SS are about 1/4" wide. They then drove a SS pin through the rear of the body, and into the hole in the small plate (the side of the plate that is inside the body, but has a drilled hole in it. The tail is connected to the body by taking a semi-closed lure screw, and hooking the eye through the drilled plate. The screw is then screwed into the tail section far enough that the opening in the eye of the screw is blocked, making sure to align the eye on a straight up-and-down axis.

I really wish I had a digital camera, because it would be so much easier to explain, using pictures.

Brock

I actually have a few on the drying rack right now waiting for the clear coat. I turn them on the lathe, then cut them, then use a beltsander to get the angles. While the blank is on the lathe, I'll mark where the join should be, then use the skew to recess it a little. You could also do the angle cuts with a bandsaw.

Andrew