Oncorhynchus_tshawytscha

Problems with my first bait.

Hey everyone,

I tested out my bait (see the attached file if you need a reminder), and as soon as it hits the water, it flips over on its side, and won't turn back over. On the other hand though, when I finally get it to dive, it has a nice, medium wiggle on it. I tried using lead dots on it, but it doesn't help any.

I'm using 8lb. line, and the hook is a Mustad 3551, size number 4.

I need to know what I did wrong, so I can try to either fix it, or try to make the lure over again.

Thanks in advance,

Brock

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

dscn0474_359.jpg

1441_thumb.attach

Brock,

just by looking at your pic, if you draw a line from the tow point to the treble point you'll see that there is more lure on the lower side than the top side. i think there is a counter weight/ buoyancy issue. what would happen if you lowered the front pull point towards the lip (increase the axis)

Karl

I didn't add any weight as I built the lure, but I just got it to ride right in the water. It took 5 Suspendots along the center line back toward the rear treble. Then just behind the lip, I added an extra 4 dots in a circular pattern. So a total of 9 dots got it to set right. Now I just have to get my boat licensed so I can go fishing and try this bait out!

Thanks for your suggestions,

Brock

Getting a bait to sit right in the water will not get the bait running correctly. Once you start to crank the bait at different speeds you will see what I mean. You need to figure out the proper weighting for the bait. out2llunge has a good idea as to where to start.

Skeeter