WylieRods

Custom rods I doubt you have seen the likes of before!

Hi folks,

I was told about this board by one of my customers and thought I would drop by to let you all know what I have to offer the avid angler. I build fishing rods that light at night and indicate the bite when a fish is trying to take the bait. The way the rods indicate when a fish is taking the bait is pretty wild and very far from the norm. The light inside the fishing rods I build moves when the tip of the rod is moved even the slightest little bit. The only way I can really explain this to you is to have you see it for yourself. So I would like to welcome you to my website at www.wylierods.com .

Enjoy your visit and please if you have any questions comments or suggests please let me know.

Tight Lines,

Wylie

Thanks Deadlystreamer and Sebass, :)

The video on my website leaves a lot to be desired but will give an idea of how the laser rods work.

I'm working with California Tackle as the Southern California Representative and we have prototype laser rods on the way produced at off the shelf rod prices. If testing goes well with the first model we should be able to get 8 to 20 pound rated 6 foot 6 inch rods in spinning and bait cast out on the market for under $70 and maybe as low as $50 each retail. My laser rods have gained international interest and with any luck you should start to see them being fished in the U.S. in the next few months.

The night fishing has got me involved with flashlights as well for baiting up and rigging at night. If anybody is looking for flashlights just let me know because the whole flashlight industry is going through a transition to LEDs now and the change is all for the better. I am a representative for the Mad Dog Light Company as well and our products should be showing at your local tackle shops here in the near future. These are not your high-end LED flashlights but they have been tested by yours truly and are well worth the sticker price.

California Tackle is also working on bringing some lures I was going to patent and was testing the basic concept of. It turned out I had to contact the inventor to congratulate him on beating me to the patent office with the idea. If you want to have some different kind of fun with fish point a laser pointer into a fish tank and just watch what they do. From what I have heard Sea World of Florida has already outlawed laser pointers on the property. The fish will follow the laser light and bite at it and do it again and again. These lures should be a huge hit once we get them in.

Thanks again guys,

Wylie

Hey guys,

Wylie and I have gotten to know each other recently and I actually bought one of the laser rods. Let me put it this way, You WANT one of these !! Not only are the blanks and wrappings of excellent quality, but the laser concept works perfectly. The rods not only light up but have a strike indicator built into the laser. Not as easy as you may think. These are tuned instruments. Each one is individually tuned to the fisherman's needs and desires. I am not afraid to endorse another builder's work. Wylie Wiggins work is well worth the cost of the rod alone. If you add to that a custom laser, hand tuned for you, you have a great deal for the price. No, we're not in biz together and I'm not working off my rod, this is the next revolution to hit the fishing industry. Check him out!

Maze

Maze you?re going to have me doing double shifts but I really appreciate the good word on my product. :D

This same type of response has got me in deeper then I have been able to handle at some points in my venture with the laser rods. This is part of the reason I am working with California Tackle to have the laser rods produced at lower retail costs and in numbers I could never contend with.

The Kencor blanks are really tough!

Some of my testing has consisted of different rod blanks rated from 8 to 17 pound test, lure weighted at one ounce, going surf fishing, throwing three ounces sinkers on fifty-pound braid. :twisted: I must have looked really stupid out there with a 6'6" rod glowing like they do and making me stand out like a swore thumb. :oops: And then I started feeling stupid when I hooked into a shark that had this rod blank bent right down to the reel seat. The shark was only three foot long but what a ride on a light action rod and it didn't break.

I guess you would have had to be there. :lol: If I could get to Idaho more often the sturgeons would be my test subjects for the rod blank testing. Nothing like a good sturgeon to wreck a rod blank with but for now I will just have to stick to the sharks. :twisted:

Thanks again Maze and enjoy your laser rod,

Wylie

Well heck, I'm waitin' for an infomercial on late night TV on this one:)! Seriously though, considering the nature of the forum, how about a little more information on the actual rods themselves? I went to the site and could not find lists, descriptions, etc. on any meaningful specs on the product. Blank weight, guides, handle styles, action/taper, blank material (graphite? glass? composite? other?), power of device and if battery, longevity are all things one might consider. How about warranty on product?

Noit trying to be a sh*t on this, but alot of hype and advertising buzz like "great" "quality" and "can't live without" don't really tell a serious angler much about the product. If the target audience is the general public who occasionally fishes and digs the concept, that's one thing. If the audience is serious anglers (or obsessed, like many of us), a bit more specifics might go a long way.

I'm not a bait fisherman much these days and that seems where the utilty of your product really would shine. Why not pick a few anglers outside of your own circle and send out a few samples to have write ups on? Unbiased testing/review of a product goes a long way. For the record, I'm not inerested in trying them, but some here might be and could be of assistance to you. This seems pretty new from the looks of your site and some may be able to suggest improvements before you really get going on this idea. Better to find shortcomings and correct before you start massive production. jrav

8O Okay that's a great reponse!

I do have longevity of batterie life listed on my website. 2 AAA alkaline batteries will give you better then 48 hours of good illumination with the modules I have been useing and took a couple years finding. Rechargeables should be slightly less. 2 AA alkaline batteries will give at least four days of good light and almost five sometimes depending on the batteries. As for handle styles, different guides or what have you, I build custom rods so ask for it and you'll get it. If I can't build something a customer would want done myself I have the resources to have it done and have it done right. Actions and blanks weights of the better part of the rod blanks I use are not posted in the manufacturers catalogs so I do not have them posted on my website.

Once we get our manufacturer of the laser parts to build what we are in need of for the launch rods most likely there will be rods sent out for reveiws. There has been talk of I.C.A.S.T. once the rods are in production also.

So what do you think Maze? I didn't know of you before you bought that rod from me. You can check with anyone that has bought a rod from me unless that would be considered, my circle.

The rods I build are general purpose rods with an advantage for the night time angler. The lights movement inside the rod is in direct relation to the tip of the rod so bait fishing is not the only application for the laser fishing rods. I just got an email from Norway a couple weeks ago asking if I could built trolling rods for a fleet over there. Shipping and all didn't allow me to build these rods and many will not leave the states until I have the manufacturering cost to a minumum. This doesn't mean I am going to build junk either, I have too much into this to screw it up now. I got a couple rods on order now and as soon as they are built you are welcome to veiw them if you would like. Got any hot spots for some night fishing?

I think the rods are neat and commend how you responded to jrav's challenge of them with professionalism and not attitude. We fisherman get bombarded with way too much gemmicky stuff and most of us are rightfully "gun-shy" of new products. They seem to be just the trick for the night fishermen, I have a buddy that loves those big yellow cats and spends more summer nights on the river than at the house, I will send him your way Wylie....JIM

Thank you Jim,

This venture has been very time consuming and this doesn't mention the money that has gone into it as well. I don't know how I missed that post for so long but that's the way it goes with new products. Although some of my investors would have liked to run this different I am not looking for a flash in the pan as that would hurt both the manufacturer I am working with and the products name. I hear I.C.A.S.T does a product of the year thing each year and what a first year that would make for the laser rods. That's a pretty lofty goal but I feel I stand a fair chance at it as long as some of the other toys we are playing with don't take it.

I just sent a couple rods off to Idaho, one eight footer rated for 15 to 40 pound line and another that is amongst my favorite rod blanks to build on, a seven footer that goes 10 to 30 pound. The eight footer was one of the modified rods that I had Kencor build with some dual color EVA on the handle and an extra guide to the build as well. Really good back bone to that eight footer and a much light tip action then I am able to find in many blanks of its strength. The seven footer was a custom build I did myself and considering the problems I had with the coatings that were delivered this rod turn out great. The owner called me on the phone and almost blew my eardrum screaming YOU ROCK. This picture down plays how really pretty this rod is but here is a picture.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p9dfe39745b86e392ce6ebe9c53edf9ee/fb1069aa.jpg

Tight Lines to all and to all a good fight,

Wylie

First let me say those rods look awesome!!!

Second, I have to agree wiht Jrav. Your website is lacking in important info and organization. There is to much "talk" not enough hard facts. If you are planning on competing with the big boys, then you will have tto look like one.

It was hard to find out:

how to buy one?

how much one costs?

What is available?

Just my opinions, and it looks like a great product that will really go somewhere

Ok, so while it is true that we are constantly bombarded with ads that hype products beyond there performance, there are legitimate designs that improve products. Wylie has created one. Is a laser rod for everyone? No more than an IM7 rod is or a particular name brand reel. I took a gamble and purchased one of the rods from Wylie after discussing it with him. I'm an experienced rod builder an chose to experiment with the rod myself. From my experience, the claims that MR Wiggins makes about his rods are true. I found a place for them in my arsenal. I enjoy fishing in low light conditions and at night and the rod has honestly proven it's self worth the cost many times. I have fully enjoyed it, use it regularly and would recommend one to anyone who thinks it would fit their needs. At the very least, you can look at it from this point of view, you are buying a custom built rod to your specs. The laser is an additional benefit that comes with your rod. The performance of the Kencor blanks satisfy my high standards. If anyone is in the Central NY area, I'd be happy to let them try my Laser Rod so they can make their own decision. I've gotten to know Wylie pretty well since I bought my rod and I can comfortably say he is an honest man, not hyping a product and an exceptional rod builder. I have a career as a Police Officer behind me so I consider myself a fair judge of people. Is a Laser Rod for you? Only you can say. Are they well built, do they last and do they meet his claims? Absolutely. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that you'd rather not ask Wylie himself.

Ray Mazza

Mid Stream Custom Rods :!: