Senkosam

fat dipped sticks

This last winter, I was playing around with dipping different lures to increase the head size or girth of tubes and sticks.

I was using a 4 1/2" stick that I dipped once (the stick was from an LC mold before he improved his Senko copy). This time of year the hard and soft jerkbait bite is guarenteed and as I posted in the sugar post, I tried Bob's Tiki stick with great success, so I thought I'd give the dipped worm a try.

One thing I noticed right away, was that being thicker, it wasn't as soft, but acted more like a hard jerk bait. The action was a better walk the dog than I could have imparted to a Sammie along with a nice darting action. I use a wide gap hook and worked shallow cover.

Bass and pickerel blasted it as long as it moved.

Give it a try with an LC stick or slim plastic worm. Just heat some plastic (ol or new) and dip once- first one end and then the other. Sometimes fish just love to hate fat slugs knocking on their door. Del's slim Tiki worked well also.

Sam

Exactly!! The bass and picks have been tearing them up. Even this crappie got a peice of it!

Kind of like the El Gordo of sticks.

Again, great action (any kid can walk this bait subsurface) and a large target that really pisses them off.

The nice thing about dipping is the ability to put a transparent color with flakes over a darker or lighter color and have them stand out. This is especially true for salted baits.

The hotter the plastic, the thinner the coat.

42105_crappie_on_fat_stick_445.jpg

1468_thumb.attach

You retain the overall shape but the surface of the bait is smooth. I have not tried it with the sticks yet. I have had some good days with the thick trick worm. The reason I tried it was to get a bait that the smaller fish would leave alone. It did not work for that. My first fish was shorter than the bait. :(

CD, the ridges are like color - the fish may notice the surface texture, but not necessarily. Remember the Jersey Rig worm? A smooth noodle, wacky rigged? How about tripple dipped tubes? All bulk - little texture (except for salt).

I C-rigged a 3" dipped stick (one that you gave me) and it was bit on the first cast. It loses it's flexibility to a degree, but hard jerkbaits aren't flexible or always textured, yet they have that wide yaw that gets bit in the spring. The softer the worm and the coating, the more flex on the jerk and the fast action produces the color flash, reducing the need for surface texture.

I will dip the front end of a creature bait (Brush Hog) to give the head of the lure more bulk. I do believe that bass and picks target the head and was one of the reasons the Fliptail worm worked well in it's day. It had a fat rounded head and a flat tapered body, ending in a flat tail.

Two ays:

nose hook with long shank hook or

hold one end - dip half way - dip in water to cool 1/4 so as to be able to hold that end and dip the other half. If the lure and coating are soft, the lure will maintain softness and flexibility.

I did it this morning to a brush hog and it reminds me of a lizard head, except with a creature body. (I cut off 1/4" from the top and dipped it 3x.)