dragline

Different Wood types

Dragline,

Many of the top musky builders use eastern red cedar for building baits...not western red cedar, big difference. I have use western however and it does work altho it is quite soft, much like basswood. Poplar is what I have used almost exclusively in the past but it has a nasty tendency to create bubbles in your finish. If you use Poplar it will be necessary to seal the wood very well before painting and finish. Redwood is one wood I have not tried but ironically enough I bought some yesterday and cut out several baits from it last evening. I know of at least one builder using it and he very much likes it. I drilled some holes in the stuff and I would say the density of the wood is comparable to poplar.

jed

sorry we use a lacquer sanding sealer. we immerse the bait and dry 2 times. then we immerse in lacquer white primer , then dip in lacquer base coat ex. yellow. artwork next. final 2 coats of circa polymer clear. on the smaller baits we use a clear acrylic 2-3 dips for final coats

My mother went to high school with a local cabinent maker, and he let's me raid his scrap barrels, before he starts to use them to heat his workshop. I picked up quite a few pieces, not really knowing what they were. Well, I got to working with this really rich, brown colored wood. Turns out that it is black walnut; it was a pain in the butt to sand and shape, but boy, does it ever look nice when it's sealed!

I have almost finished 3 of them, and I don't think they are going to work properly. I weighted them like I would eastern red ceder, and now they sink like rocks :( But I still have 2 that I haven't weighted or sealed yet, so there may still be hope!

Brock

Brock,

You have to test the weight of each wood, they are all different. The amount of lead to be used for walnut will maybe be 25% of what you use for western red cedar. Drill what you think will be the correct amount, add lead and test. If it's not enough you can drill the lead out, drill further, try again. Once you get it figured out for one take good notes, measure depths, and then do all of them similar.

jed