Pop

Saltwater Plastic

That's what I've discovered about most of the harder plastics. If you're used to cooking a more softened plastic (as I am), it's easy to burn the stuff because you expect it to thin out just as quickly. It takes more time and patience (something I lack considerably :| ). You also need to stir a little more, and a touch of heat stabilizer doesn't hurt either.

Chris

I decided to give Calhoun's tube plastic a try and ordered a 5-gallon bucket from Del in order to avoid the cost of buying hardener with the regular Calhoun hand pour plastic.

Even though I still had some regular plastic left, I had no hardener. After reading some comments about how tough this plastic was and that it was even compared by Del as being the same as LC's Formula #500 for salt water (which I have tried before), I was a bit concerned that my plastics would be too hard and that they would scorch easily too. I had already in my possession a gallon of softener from some time ago which I prefer to use than hardener, and about 3/4 of a gallon of stabilizer, so I thought I was set and ready for whatever plastic order came my way.

Just a couple days ago I received an order for 200 sweet beaver-type baits which I should finish today after work, so I thought this was a great opportunity to test the new tube plastic.

I went to Home Depot and bought the "squirrel mixer" to make sure that my plastic was thoroughly mixed, and with this new tool I would get rid of any doubts as to whether it was my fault for the plastic being too hard or too soft due to not mixing it properly, and I have to say that I really mixed the *#&*%$# of out that bucket for about 10 minutes and proceeded to distribute the plastic to smaller, more manageable containers, BELIEVE ME, after having struggle for about 10 minutes to take the lid off there was no way I was going to seal that bucket again to open it up later on another day and get another unwanted workout. :rolleyes:

I would keep mixing the plastic after every distribution was made until the entire bucket was empty so I'm sure that the plastic was really mixed.

My first impression was that the plastic was not as thick as the formula #500 from LC and that I probably did not need softener after all, so I decided to risk two cups of plastics and make my first 50 baits of the order. I did add stabilizer for piece of mind though. The results were favorable. The tube plastic is just a bit tougher than the regular "hand pour" plastic to where I was content with the end result. No hardener is needed to make flipping baits in my opinion, but it isn't nearly as tough as LC's formula #500.

In conclusion, the tube plastic is great to make baits a bit tougher than the regular Calhoun, but if you are into making baits for salt-water fishing or if you want tougher baits, my opinion is that hardener is still in order.

Us kayakers think alike Will! :wink:

I ordered a one gallon bucket of tube plastic a few weeks ago and poured a number of swimbaits. I love the tube plastic and I think it is perfect for my personal use. If I was pouring for customers I might add a little hardener but I think it is fine without it. I am pouring a bunch of swimbaits for a friend this weekend and I will probably just pour them straight up, nothing added.