Fishnut

Snow flake effect???

I have been having a problem with applying paint, I am repainting hard baits and have sanded, prep-ed, applied a new white base coat (Createx), blended in the main colors with no problems.

Here is where I start having problems, when I apply any amount of color to make free hand spots like you see on Reef Runner Wanderbreads or Stinger spoon Confusion I get a major spreading of the paint into a snow flake or star burst effect.

Simple question what am I doing incorrectly? :?: :?:

Fishnut

You are applying too much air. The paint may be thinned too much also. What is happening is that the paint is blowing. If you have a double action airbrush, push all of the way down on the trigger and get the air going. Then slowly pull back on the trigger untill you start to get your paint showing lightly. Hold it there untill it gets dark enough. It is called a dry shoot.

Skeeter

benton I was shooting Iridescent Scarlet and in the Dixie Art information listing, it states it has mica flakes in it and is to be a thicker paint, I plan to get back to painting next week and will target the pressure. I will let you guys know how I fair out.

Fishnut

I am not familiar with your gun. If you have to push down on the trigger to get your paint then you have a single action gun. If you push down for the air and then have to pull back to feed the paint then you have a double action gun. The instructions that I gave you were for a double action. Is yours single or double. Also what pressure are you shooting at now?

Skeeter

Checked pressure and its set at 45 psi at regulator on a Power Jet Pro compressor and the Eclipse brush has a 5mm needle. I did the first group with dots formed with the head of a nail in different sizes but they looked to mechanical with high definition on the edges.

Fishnut

Fishnut,

Be extremely careful with the nose cone on the front of that brush. After cleaning, take the back of the brush off, slide the needle in far enough so it's behind the cone, install the cone and front pieces, then gently slide the needle foward until it seats in the cone, tighten back set piece and reinstall back handle. It just cost me 36 bucks to learn this.

jed