rrb32

Need Help Pouring

Hey all, I received a Del-Mart stik kit the other day. Well, I tried it today but was not successful. I used the recipe on the site of 1 cup plastic and 1/4 cup softener. I am using the heating pan from lure craft. The plastic never hardened after pouring into the mold. I heated until it turned clear. Im not sure what Im doing wrong here. Could someone give me a run through on a procedure using the heating burner.

There are 2 chemical changes while heating. 1st the plastic becomes clear and gel like. Next, it remains clear but it liquifies itself again. You should have the consistency of hot syrup.

Be sure to stir continually! If you stir every 20-30 seconds, you'll see the changes in the plastic :wink:

Also, make sure that your plastic is mixed really well before you heat :!:

Hey guys, Well I mixed up the bucket and that was definately the problem I was having. After mixing it, it turned real milky white unlike the other day when it wasnt that white. I heated it up and it thickened up great. The other day it never thickened. After it got thin again, I added the salt, softner, glitter and color. I found it pretty hard to pour these stik baits. It was hard keeping the stream straight in the hole. Does anyone have a special technique that is easy? I ended up with 4 good worms. I had many that were messed up and some hollow towards the top. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help! Im getting there!

You can save the partial pours, put back into the cavites (after cutting them straight across) and repouring the rest.

Del has a good tip which is to tilt the mold slightly and pour down the funnel rather than straight down.

Hotter plastic keeps bubbles at a minimum and I use a thin wire to poke into the hot plastic at the top of the mold to pop any bubbles. Works 75% of the time.

Be sure to warm your mold a little in the beginning and "top off" your pour area after you have poured the stick. The plastic shrinks as it cools and "pulls" back into the mold creating the hoollow spot in the top of the stick.

You may also want to try some "sugar flakes" from Senkosam. They make pouring the sticks SO easy. Mixing is at a minimum. I poured 10 bags of 12 sticks each bag last night, 5 different colors and was finished in less than 2 hours (with only a 4 cavity mold)!!!

The salt that I do add in stays suspended with the flakes (not clumped at the bottom of your cup) and your glitter stays suspended in the plastic as well. Boy those flakes have made my stick pouring life great!!!

I am getting a lot of positive reviews from customers that parallel my experiences on the lake...I will be fishing them this weekend at Guntersville (weather permitting :( )

Jim

I poured 10 bags of 12 sticks each bag last night, 5 different colors and was finished in less than 2 hours (with only a 4 cavity mold)!!!

HaHa, sometimes it seems like it takes me that long just to get the right color. :)

I also have the Del-Mart Stik kit. When i first started i also got the hollow tip. Like GaBassNerd said, you have to keep the reservoir topped off with plastic. Once i started to do that, the hollow tips have gone away.

J.O., I just found another advantage to using clear flakes - When you leave a bunch in the boat and it rains like h*ll, they're reusable and won't swell like salty Senkos. I dried them out on my dashboard, in the sun, they softened and were good to go.

I've been using them without color, just milk white and the bass and picks having been mauling them! But then again, they've been mauling anything that moves, including Bob's and Del's Tiki Sticks. :D Heck, it's spring!

I tried the tilting to the side and that made things MUCH easier! I poured perfect baits without any hollow tips. However, I ran into another problem. I noticed that some of my baits I poured had hundreds of tiny bubbles in them. What causes this? Thanks!

It's common for bubbles and foam to form with the first heat/pour. Del says it's from moisture, which cooks out and is reduced by stirring with a metal butter knife. (Wood makes it worse.) Push the bubbles to the sides of the pyrex cup and rezap, after stirring again.

Plastic that's kept in a damp basement or outside garage, will experience this more than plastic that's kept at room temperature in a dry climate.