finlander

curved lips/ faces of plugs

I have never seen a J-Plug in person but it appears very similar to a South Bend Fish-Oreno. The "U" shaped lip surface is most closely associated with the Bass-Oreno but has shown up on several different baits.

I have made several styles of baits with variations of this lip surface. A shallow and steep lip surface can be used to make a wiggler while a long, sloping lip can be used to create a swimmer that makes a big "S" shape when trolled or retrieved.

If you have any specific questions please feel to ask.

Yes, that is what a j-plug's face is. There is a hole thru the bait, where a beaded chain runs thru, with a treble or two is attached. Good salmon and trout bait. I wonder if any LARGE version have ever been made, for pike and muskie.

Finlander,we were talking about that saturday out in the boat.We were talking about making larger j-plugs and using wire for the hook harness.I have fished j-plugs for salmon before behind a ball.Do you think they would need to be run on a downrigger?My no name bait in the picture forum was an attempt to make a shad bait with a tight(j-plug style) wiggle.Well... it fell short.Actually its not at all like a j-plug.It ended up more like a snake swim action.LOL! If making baits was easy, it wouldnt be much fun! The face of the bait I made is flat,and maybe it should be concave?I think to get that action it will have to be cylinder shaped not shad shaped like mine.Back to the drawing board.

Tom

Finlander, I WISH I had a digital camera (soon :D ) Anyhow, there is a bait similar to the J-plug for pike and Muskie..it's called the "Bugsy" bait..I have three of them..You pay the postage, and they're yours!

LOL..I never had much luck with them..of course, I fish a river that is relatively shallow in the "hot spots" (where the creeks run in during hot months) and enjoy the topwater and spinners..it's all about confidence :grin:

Anyhow, pm me if you're interested and I'll get them out to ya.

Tight lines, Bart